Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Terry Coging

The Oban Lochs
« on: 21/07/2021 at 19:07 »
Just had a weeks holiday in Oban and my family let me go fishing for a few hours on three days. My preference is for boat fishing and after making several enquiries about boats and permits I ended up joining the Oban and Lorn Angling Club (OLAC) as a full pensioner member. Only £55 and secured me a boat on 3 different lochs. What a splendid outfit OLAC are! They could not have been more helpful. They have about 20 Lochs with 6 having boats. They even have 2 beats of the tidal River Awe for salmon, sea trout and rainbows (Hamish reported about the rainbows a couple of years ago).  The three Lochs that I fished all produced a few fish and I will certainly try to return to two of them - Loch Avich and Loch Nell.  Hopefully there will be a breeze and some cloud cover next time and the chance to fish mornings and evenings.
Best fly was James Laraway's 'Kate Ordie' (with a pink tail of course :wink ) on the middle dropper.

James Laraway

Re: The Oban Lochs
« Reply #1 on: 24/07/2021 at 08:01 »
Missed seeing your report Terry so just read it. Next time I go to Oban I'll be sure to join the angling club as I've never fished round there!

Glad the KO did the job  :z16

As you will see in the tying section the pink tailed grouse ordie has just been born  *smiley-lol*

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 24/07/2021 at 10:38 »
Sounds like a good holiday Terry  *smiley-smile*

Allan Liddle

« Reply #3 on: 10/08/2021 at 20:31 »
Worked down there for a while and also joined the OLAC.  Great club ans some excellent waters.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com