Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

John Williams

Hardy Sunbeam Reel Help
« on: 20/07/2021 at 21:42 »
Hi everyone
I have a sunbeam fly reel that needs changing from right hand wind to left hand wind. I’ve tried removing the spring holding in the agate line guide, but can’t manage to do it. Has anybody performed this task and if so how did you get the springs out please? If not has anybody any idea how I can remove it. I’ve tried various pointed modelling tools and small watch screwdrivers but to no avail. I’m not very dexterous and don’t like messing with mechanical thing, I absolutely hated Meccano as a kid, although my two brothers loved it!!!
Thanks
John

Mike Barrio

Re: Hardy Sunbeam Reel Help
« Reply #1 on: 21/07/2021 at 09:31 »
Hi John, welcome to the forum  :z16

I don't think I've ever seen a Hardy Sunbeam, so I can't help I'm afraid.

Cheers
Mike

James Laraway

« Reply #2 on: 21/07/2021 at 10:36 »
To be honest if like me you arent confident in these things i would contact the manufacturer and see if they would do it for you. More expensive I know but you'd be gutted if you messed it up....

I the past i've opened up fixed spool reels to try and grease them then all of a sudden cogs and springs drop out and i've instantly regretted it...

Hi everyone
I have a sunbeam fly reel that needs changing from right hand wind to left hand wind. I’ve tried removing the spring holding in the agate line guide, but can’t manage to do it. Has anybody performed this task and if so how did you get the springs out please? If not has anybody any idea how I can remove it. I’ve tried various pointed modelling tools and small watch screwdrivers but to no avail. I’m not very dexterous and don’t like messing with mechanical thing, I absolutely hated Meccano as a kid, although my two brothers loved it!!!
Thanks
John

Magnus Angus

« Reply #3 on: 21/07/2021 at 13:07 »
Hi John

Not seen a Sunbeam. I believe you're talking about a reel with an agate ring line guard on one side and a castle badge thingy (technical term) on the other. What I've read says the ring is held in by a spring and suggests using something like a bamboo skewer to release the spring - then switch the badge and ring.

Personally I would leave it well alone. I break/scratch/dent before 'fixing'...not good really. I would contact someone like The Mill Tackle Co Ltd and ask if they would service the reel and switch hands for me.

Magnus

John Williams

« Reply #4 on: 22/07/2021 at 00:10 »
Thanks Mike, James Laraway and Magnus Angus for your replies. The problem has been resolved. I asked a mechanic friend if he could help and within a couple of minutes the job was done.
Thanks again
John

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 22/07/2021 at 00:52 »
Great stuff, enjoy your reel John  :z16

John Williams

« Reply #6 on: 22/07/2021 at 17:11 »
Thanks Mike. I thought the fittings were not too dissimilar to what you might find in a car fascia and on showing it to my mate he said that’s easy! (To him, anyway!!)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com