Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

The Fly Fisher's Diary
« on: 04/08/2021 at 22:57 »
It used to be quite common for folk to keep a diary, recording conditions on the day, fly life, flies used, fish caught etc etc.

I'm sure they proved really useful. Does anybody still do this?

Hamish Young

Re: The Fly Fisher's Diary
« Reply #1 on: 05/08/2021 at 07:43 »
Not any more, my fishermans diary went AWOL when I moved to Dinnet 20 years ago - so long before moving up here - and I have never replaced it.
Euan still keeps one (I think) and a family friend 'out West' has several volumes that he's kept dating back to the 50's.

Was a great way of recording all those little things about your day by the water that you might forget along the way.

H

Graham Ritchie

« Reply #2 on: 05/08/2021 at 12:08 »
I have kept one since the beginning of the season back in 1978 all the way to the present.

James Laraway

« Reply #3 on: 05/08/2021 at 13:49 »
I actually got given one as a present but haven't started to use it.

I think this thread had given me the encouragement  :z16

Bob Mitchell

« Reply #4 on: 05/08/2021 at 16:05 »
Kept a diary from when i was a tiddler up to about 15-20 years ago. When i looked back at the fishing / shooting / ferreting etc. I realised that it was a different world now. The standard brown round here stocked must be about 2 lbs. A good brown was about a pound and anything much bigger was exceptional.
The grouse  were more common than the pigeons and salmon were as many as you wanted. Hard to believe that in the days before freezers any salmon not used was just given to a persons cats. I also think that the fishers of past were better hunters and were more interested in the countryside. Modern fishers that i see are all about catching and the numbers and are happy to fish in a puddle. Hope i am wrong.
Bob.

Hamish Young

« Reply #5 on: 06/08/2021 at 17:35 »
I have kept one since the beginning of the season back in 1978 all the way to the present.

Impressive  :z16

Mike Barrio

« Reply #6 on: 10/08/2021 at 11:36 »

I bet that makes some interesting reading Graham  >)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com