Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

James Lauder

NOISE OF THE FLY LINE HELP.
« on: 26/06/2021 at 10:51 »
I’m using a Shakespeare 11 foot switch rod ,so I put a brand new line on my reel,it was a wychwood sink tip fly line,when I went to cast it through the rod ( it was slightly windy that day) it was making a terrible noise as it went through the rod eyes,I’ve heard of people having this bother before,but I’d never experienced it till now. A friend said I should lube the line so it doesn’t screetch as it goes through the eyes,but surely with this being a brand new line first try out,I should not need to do that,if anyone has the answer I’d be really grateful for any help given, Thankyou.....James.

Hamish Young

Re: NOISE OF THE FLY LINE HELP.
« Reply #1 on: 26/06/2021 at 11:18 »
I don't recall Wychwood fly lines being 'textured' and 'textured' coated fly lines do tend to make an entertaining racket as they go through rings.
So this maybe suggests two things need to be looked at.
Firstly, as you say, the line may benefit from a clean and a lube. Depending on what the coatings the line has they can - when new- pick up all sorts of cr@p quickly so worth running it through a clean and damp microfibre cloth first. I've had new off the shelf lines that were tacky when new, a simple pull through a cloth and they were fine thereafter.
Secondly, check the guides on the rod. Most folk don't bother to clean down their rods and very few bother to clean the guides/rings. You absolutely should clean them down after every use - so look at that too and check the guides for grooving/wear. Even the best guides will, eventually, wear out.
H

Jim Eddie

Re: NOISE OF THE FLY LINE HELP.
« Reply #2 on: 26/06/2021 at 21:18 »
I had a Sharkskin line that made a hell of a noise when you cast
 :z18

Jim

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com