Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

BGP

Heads up or down ?
« on: 07/02/2008 at 09:02 »
The Inverurie Angling Association annual march to the river to celebrate the opening of the new season on the Don  takes place on Saturday 16th Feb at 9.30 am from the Kintore Arms Hotel, Inverurie.

What do correspondents think?   Should we continue with this event,  keeping our heads up proud of our sport or in the light of animal activists views should we keep our heads down and just get on with our sport 'out of sight' and hopefully out of mind?

I would welcome views

If you are a heads up,  why not go along and support the cause

BGP

Ross

Re: Heads up or down ?
« Reply #1 on: 07/02/2008 at 09:13 »
Keep your head up high and walk on :z16

There maybe a small few amongst the angling family that show little or no respec to fish. We hook em, we play em, we maybe take a picture etc then send them on their way (UNHARMED), what we do kill...we eat! What's the problem there?

These activists are just looking for anothing thing to moan about in my opinion, they've probably never seen what fishing is really like. (Don't get me started on the bypass and this "Ancient (Man Made) Forrest" that 80% of the moaners had never heard about...let alone seen.

:cry

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 07/02/2008 at 11:58 »
Up!!!

We all know that many of our rivers and ponds/lochs would be open cess pits if it were not thanks to anglers demanding better water quality, putting in the time on the banks and resisting councils who want to straighten rivers and build on there banks.

The anti's always seem to miss this bit out!

The ACA does sterling work down south in bringing to justice polluters (Thamws water has been fined a record amount for polluting the River Wandle for example), and that is a group set up anglers to help conserve rivers, fish and wildlife. Unfortuantly they do not do anything North of the border..is there any organisations that do up here?

Hold your head high, be proud at the protection you afford the countryside and all that lives, breathes and swims within it!!

Duncan McRae

« Reply #3 on: 07/02/2008 at 12:49 »
Be proud of your sport!!

By posing this interesting and unusual question i wonder if you yourself are having doubts about your sport?

My own view is, that as long a we permit a small percentage of our catch to be retained for the table then we have moral justification for our sport.Total catch and release would be far more difficult to justify in any future debate.

Duncan

JIMBOB

« Reply #4 on: 07/02/2008 at 16:52 »
The river Findhorn march to the river takes place on Monday 11th Feb.
We, as anglers, are in the main responsible people. Let's hold our heads high and be proud of the fact that we do what we can for conservation. We put fish back because we want to and because we respect them and the sport that they give us. Let the animal rights activists shout their mouths off and let we as anglers stand up for ourselves.

Irvine Ross

« Reply #5 on: 07/02/2008 at 17:32 »
Heads Up

I will be marching at Inverurie in the 16th. :z2

Lets keep the event  in the local papers to advertise all the good work anglers do. I suggest the Association prepares a press release full of the sort of information we would like to see in print. Editors like it if you do most of the work for them.

Irvine

Jim Eddie

« Reply #6 on: 07/02/2008 at 19:50 »
Heads up,  we as anglers have absolutely nothing to be ashamed of , If I can mange I will come along to give support  :z16

:z18

Jim

Dutchfly

« Reply #7 on: 07/02/2008 at 21:07 »
Walk tall!

Why should we need moral justification for fishing? Any justification, for that matter?

CU

Jeroen

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com