Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

James Laraway

You can't put that on....
« on: 24/06/2021 at 09:17 »
Following Mr Kidd's post about arriving at a loch to find mayfly hatching and not having the fly you need what about the cases that you put on a fly and your mate says " you can't put that on, its a disgrace......"

I have 2 such experiences:
The first was over 10 years ago on Loch Ruthven at the end of June. Arrived to scorching conditions and flat calm. Not a fish rising. There was a big dead mayfly in the boat but nothing hatching. Caught nothing in the morning. After a kip at lunch we got back in the boat. I pulled out a massive mayfly nymph. My pal says " you cant put that  - on its a disgrace....."
No joke - from the first cast I was getting either a fish or a hit for the next couple of hours. We think the fish were hitting the nymphs just subsurface. It was frantic sport and my pal ended up looking through his box for the biggest ugliest nymph he could find - which finally got him into the fish

2nd time was last weekend when i put on my KO . He almost took one off me to try, almost.......

Mike Barrio

Re: You can't put that on....
« Reply #1 on: 24/06/2021 at 14:20 »
I've certainly found a clue in the boat a few times over the years James  :z16

Bob Mitchell

Re: You can't put that on....
« Reply #2 on: 01/07/2021 at 09:08 »
Stuck a green beaded fly with red tail black body and yellow barred squirrel tail just for a change. Great believer if nothing doing look in fly box and find the daftest fly. Been getting large browns on it while the rest are blank.
Bob,

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com