Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

James Laraway

Weekend in the Assynt region
« on: 21/06/2021 at 10:15 »
So, at the weekend I did my first 'wild camping' trip with a good pal of mine.
We parked at the North West end of Loch a'Gillie , walked through to Na Tri Lochan then through to the south east end of Fionn Loch ( where the burn from Loch Veyatie comes into Fionn) where we camped on Friday night.
Also managed to get some fishing done in the shallow bay that the burn enters the loch
The top fly by miles on friday evening was my pink loch ordie variant ! Next best was a 'George variant' (but the ordie out performed that by about x4)
The scenery was amazing.
Sat morning and we fished the burn that connects the 2 lochs (not such great fishing - as the fish were smaller) and then the shallow bay again. Caught an amazing amount of very nicely conditioned fish - a lot in the 8-10inch range . Lovely marked fish and all very fat. Top flies were pink ordie and modified pennell. I never normally fish a pennell but it did the job very nicely including my best fish ( I need to get the photo from my pal)

Lunchtime saturday we upped camp and moved to Na Tri Lochan. Fished well but nowhere as well as Fionn had and the fish were smaller too.

It was great being out in the wilds but i was amazed that we say about 10 other fishermen !

The weather was very kind and it didn't really rain. Also the wind kept the migies at bay for most of the time apart from Sunday morning when there was NO wind. Given we had caught a stack of fish we were not about to brave it for the migies so just got the tents down and headed before breakfast so as not be be eaten alive.

great weekend and a great spot to fish if you like it 'wild'

#

wee one from the lochan (on a pink tailed kate-ordie)

Mike Barrio

Re: Weekend in the Assynt region
« Reply #1 on: 21/06/2021 at 10:25 »
Great stuff James, that's my kind of fishing trip  >)

Cheers
Mike

James Laraway

« Reply #2 on: 21/06/2021 at 20:55 »
Another couple of photos

Terry Coging

« Reply #3 on: 22/06/2021 at 09:27 »
What a great week end James. A pink Ordie - sounds interesting. How did you fish it?

James Laraway

« Reply #4 on: 22/06/2021 at 11:13 »
sorry Terry, getting my fly names mixed up.
The fly that did the most damage was my pink tailed Kate Ordie

Fished it on the dropper and the brownies loved it pulled back  *smiley-lol*

Terry Coging

« Reply #5 on: 22/06/2021 at 14:58 »
Ah yes! The Kate Ordie. I'll be trying some of your flies over in the Argyle Lochs in 10 days time - any chance of a KO being among them?

James Laraway

« Reply #6 on: 22/06/2021 at 16:57 »
the exact body hackles ( dark in the centre and ginger towards the tips) I have run out of.....however I do like doing variants so I'll cook up some tasty looking alternatives for you  :z16

James Laraway

« Reply #7 on: 22/06/2021 at 17:29 »
Oh and for those who are interested the mayfly (Green Drake's) were hatching. Not enough to switch the fish onto them but nice to see...

Ben Crichton

« Reply #8 on: 27/06/2021 at 08:14 »
Looks great. Need to get some loch fishing planned! All these stories make me jealous 😩

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com