Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Kav Ring

Mini reel
« on: 16/06/2021 at 22:39 »
My bro kindly made me a small 6'6" glass stream rod. I currently have an old  condex (love the green) and a couple of other old reels,  but they make it a bit too back heavy
. Any recommendations for a small/light reel please.  Happy to go new but if I could get a nice reasonable priced 'old school' that would be great.
I'm also thinking of getting another glass in a 4wt so hopefully can match my other reels to that.
Thanks for any help

Steven Kidd

Re: Mini reel
« Reply #1 on: 17/06/2021 at 08:49 »
Hi Kav,

I have a Danielsson DryFly on a similar rod, however he also makes a smaller one called the Midge.  These are super light weight, (not made in china), and are reasonably priced if you buy direct from Danielsson.

https://danielsson-flyreels.se/en/

Steven

James Laraway

« Reply #2 on: 17/06/2021 at 11:31 »
I bought an HD5 9-13 for salmon. Its a thing of beauty....

Danielsson - proper fly reels !

Just a thought - dont know if dare i say it brexit would affect shipping and cost to the UK. Probably worth checking the rules so you don't get stung...

Steven Kidd

« Reply #3 on: 17/06/2021 at 20:05 »
James,

Since Brexit, i've actually had faster shipping from Danielsson, bought two spools on separate occasions recently.  you can also now get VAT free, which makes them even cheaper!......not been stung anywhere on delivery or anything, smooth service.

Steven

Kav Ring

« Reply #4 on: 17/06/2021 at 21:05 »
Thanks, yes I do like the look of the Danielsson! I tried to order something from Sweden recently (not fishing related) and they apologised and said the were not shipping to uk! Another reason to visit scandi soon!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com