Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

James Laraway

Loch Veyatie - next weekend
« on: 09/06/2021 at 10:24 »
So next weekend i have my first 'wild camping' trip when myself and a good pal are heading to Loch Veyatie .

( he is an experienced camper so it will not be the 'dirty camping' that a lot of places seem to suffer from these days,...so we will be leaving no trace )

We will be camping between lochs Veyatie and Fionn

Quite a few of you will have fished one or both lochs - any tips ?

we will be hiking in so will be fishing from the shore only.

I got my permits in advance from Mackay's Hardware to save popping in. If you call them , talk through what you need they will accept a cheque if you send them a stamped address envelope so they can return the permit to you  - which was a right result - so a big thank you to them  :z16

Eddie Sinclair

Re: Loch Veyatie - next weekend
« Reply #1 on: 09/06/2021 at 10:59 »
James,

Good luck on the trip. I sent you a PM on the fly picture you requested. Me and the usual reprobates are heading to Durness Tomorrow.

Tight lines,

Eddie

James Laraway

« Reply #2 on: 09/06/2021 at 11:27 »
thanks Eddie

I have a mix of flies i plan to take - 'georges' / hedgehogs/half hog hoppers and the usual suspects for 'loch style'

Plus as I like to play dirty a few shuggies and lures........

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 09/06/2021 at 11:29 »
Great stuff, hope you both enjoy a good trip  :z16

Steven Kidd

« Reply #4 on: 09/06/2021 at 22:14 »
Looking forward to plenty photos and a wee report on your adventures,  *smiley-wink*

Tight Lines!

Steven

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #5 on: 10/06/2021 at 18:14 »
Steven, just arrived in Durness, tent pitched and ready to go. Will hopefully have lots of fish pics to send next week.

Eddie

Mike Barrio

« Reply #6 on: 10/06/2021 at 19:40 »
Great to see folks getting out n about again, awesome ..... enjoy  >)

Terry Coging

« Reply #7 on: 11/06/2021 at 06:55 »
You lucky men - Veyattie and Durness! Had to cancel my last three trips up there due to restrictions and illness in our group.

I'll be thinking about you guys when out on the Midlands reservoirs. Pictures please  >)

Andy Grant

« Reply #8 on: 11/06/2021 at 12:50 »
Have good trips all. 3 of us in Lairg area for 2 weeks from 19th June, Assynt forays planned. Had a great day on Cam last year and planning taking the boat down end of Veyatie. Tight lines all.

James Laraway

« Reply #9 on: 11/06/2021 at 13:45 »
we are there from the 18th

If you see a couple of tents down the N/W end of the loch you'll know who it is

I'll try and leave some fish in the water  *smiley-lol*

Have good trips all. 3 of us in Lairg area for 2 weeks from 19th June, Assynt forays planned. Had a great day on Cam last year and planning taking the boat down end of Veyatie. Tight lines all.

Andy Grant

« Reply #10 on: 11/06/2021 at 20:32 »
Try and leave a few! We struggle most days 😁.  Maybe see you there on the Monday

Ben Crichton

« Reply #11 on: 12/06/2021 at 07:03 »
Veyatie is huge! You could spend all your time at that one loch!

Ben Crichton

« Reply #12 on: 12/06/2021 at 07:22 »
Me and a friend fished Veyatie a couple of years back. Had a 2 day permit,so headed up to remote lochs in gods landscape the first day. Took it easy the second day and started on Veyatie. Parked next to an old ruined building and followed a track down to the loch. Think you may be able to get keys to the gate, but it's only a short walk. Takes you beside the old hatchery if I remember. We are by no means experienced loch fisherman so had no success on Veyatie, so we followed the burn up to Cam loch which was more productive. We just used traditional wets and steady retrieve style fishing. Nothing to fill the glass case but just fantastic being in the wild from time to time. On our first day up the hills, my friend caught the most beautiful trout I've ever seen before. Bright red spots surrounded by light blue rings around 1/2 a lb. One word of warning, beware of woman driving big BMWs, I was almost rammed of the road on a bend by one!! Think she thought the whole single track road was hers😬

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com