Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Terry Wood

Private boat use - Highland Loch
« on: 31/05/2021 at 20:33 »
Wondering if anyone can offer any advice or any recommendations please.
I regularly fly fish assynt / surrounding areas where I live and I’d like to be able to launch and use my own boat on a Loch north west highlands area.
Ideally Areas such as Assynt.  I’ve tried to make contact with Ledmore estate but having difficulty getting a response.
My boat is a wee 14’ Orkney Coastliner with outboard.
Only real places I’m finding is the sea lochs, such as Loch Broom, either that or travel down to Inverness and get on Loch Ness but don’t really fancy that for fear of catching  Nessie and the boat not holding the weight.  *smiley-shocking*
Anyway, any help appreciated.  :z16

Hamish Young

Re: Private boat use - Highland Loch
« Reply #1 on: 04/06/2021 at 07:57 »
Without teaching you to suck eggs, it's a question of making contact with riparian owners and establishing permissions - as you have already started to do. If you want to use their facilities (slipways, for example) it's worth making contact with local angling clubs/associations as the local knowledge base is usually good. The local Fisheries Trust is also a good starting point, not all owners of fishing or access necessarily share all their information in the full public domain. Lastly in this tranche of thought, http://fms.scot/ is worth a contact as the 'competent' body for fisheries management in Scotland.

H

Terry Coging

« Reply #2 on: 04/06/2021 at 08:10 »
Thought I had already replied to this? Anyway, as Hamish says, you will need prior permission. The owners, estates and clubs may have legal or insurance issues to consider so may refuse.  I have launched on Loch Shin, Veyattie and Borallan. A launching fee of a tenner was normal.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 04/06/2021 at 08:41 »
Yes, it was in the River & Lochs section Terry :z16

Assynt in May/June: https://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=7293.15

Cheers
Mike

Terry Wood

« Reply #4 on: 05/06/2021 at 21:38 »
Cheers for the info Hamish.
Terry, Mike - yeah we did reply to each other on the rivers and lochs section.
Thanks all, appreciate it . 👍

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com