Forum > Tackle Talk

Preferred leader material

(1/2) > >>

James Laraway:
So I was just wondering what peoples preferred leader material is ?

In the past i used airflo sight-free flurocarbon which i  found really good.
Then i was reccomended Osso Super Flurocarbon so i bought some. Expensive and unreliable....it all ended up in the bin
So then I went to Berkley Trilene mono - cheap, effective, great knot strength, no knot slippage  and bombproof. About £6 for 300m. Can't say fairer that that  :z16

Hamish Young:
Depends where I am and what I'm fishing for - but I have some Rio stuff, some Barrio stuff and quite a lot of Riverge. These three are my preferred types  :z16

Eddie Sinclair:
I have two choices, like Hamish depending on where and what I am chasing. Seaguar or green maxima.

Eddie

Duncan Inglis:
Maxima for salmon all day long.
For trout  Fluor either Fulling Mill, Berkley which is cheap, tough but thick and Frog Hair if I’m looking for fine leader material. I tried Airflo G3 and found it ok in heavier breaking strain but it appeared brittle in 5 or 6 lb. Seagar I found totally useless 18lb snapping like cotton thread.

Steven Kidd:
I chop and change depending on what style i'm fishing,

I like Riverge for Loch style as it is quite stiff and helps with droppers on a 3 fly cast, (less tangles).

For the river, I dont use fluorocarbon......its not that forgiving stuff for playing a fish in about potential snags, I like mono / copolymer here, currently using Rio Suppflex, which is butter soft and lets wee spiders fish naturally.

The only thing I notice is that you need a tucked blood knot with the Rio stuff as its quite slippy, (can be a pain when your hands are cold!)........the fluoro doesn't need a tuck.

Steven

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version