Fishing The Fly Forum

Allan Liddle

GT 90 #5
« on: 22/05/2021 at 10:12 »
Thanks Mike as new line arrived safely earlier this week.
Love the GT 90 profile and my last one has been used to destruction  *smiley-grin* to glad that some stock finally arrived as been waiting to replace it for a while.
That said still amazed at how well the battle scarred one still performed really well with a little bit of TLC and musclin  *smiley-grin*
Ended a glorious carrier with a few cracking small water fish on the River Isla earlier this week when it was the only river not blown out.

I know many scoff when it's suggested you overline a rod but i often do this with my #5 line on my #4 Marryat LX as a tactic to counteract shitty blustery winds (to prevalent this year) but still allowing you to use a lighter rod.  Ok you still need to adopt those casting tricks we all learn but it really does load the rod immediately for really close work as well as help compliment a front haul when punching.  So if i'm doing it wrong then, to be honest, i don't care.   *smiley-grin*

Mike Barrio

Re: GT 90 #5
« Reply #1 on: 22/05/2021 at 13:09 »
Thanks for the confirmation Allan, I hope you enjoy your line  :z16

I'm really pleased that you like the GT, it is probably my favourite line within the range too  >)

Line weights are all about personal preferences and balanced outfits for the job. I am just as likely to underline as to overline, depending on what I'm doing and the conditions on the day. But if anybody asks for advice, I'll always suggest a #4 for a #4 and a #5 for a #5, simply because for most folk and most situations, that should usually fish well.

Cheers
Mike

Keith Elliot

« Reply #2 on: 22/05/2021 at 16:43 »
Are there any advantages of overlining or underlining? If the manufacturer does all the hard work and  designs and rates a rod at 5 weight why would I want to use a 4 or 6 weight line?  :z8
« Last Edit: 22/05/2021 at 17:16 by Keith Elliot »

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 22/05/2021 at 17:33 »
Like I said Keith, these things are very much down to personal preferences  *smiley-wink*

The lighter line will usually help make the rod feel lighter and faster and help with lighter presentation. The heavier line will usually help to slow the rod down, load the rod more and help to keep everything tight in windy conditions ..... which one you might prefer for certain conditions comes down to years of personal experience and preferences.

Most folk will be happiest with a #5 on a #5, but it's always good to experiment.

Cheers
Mike

Keith Elliot

« Reply #4 on: 22/05/2021 at 17:48 »
I can see where you are coming from, but as you have said using a line and rod with the same rating will do the job for most people in most situations and personally I don't like to overthink things to much,  it makes life so much easier. Lol

Will Shaw

« Reply #5 on: 22/05/2021 at 17:52 »
What Mike said.

Just remember, if you originally wanted a #5 outfit and end up using a #6 on it, you no longer have a #5 outfit.  Start with the line you want to use and get a rod that you like to cast that line with.

W.

Allan Liddle

« Reply #6 on: 22/05/2021 at 20:49 »
Thanks for replies everyone.
As Mike and Will say it's personal choice and in windier days i usually just grab the #5 rod and line but it's equally as acceptable to be to overline a rod by a size up. 
I hate carrying two rods and simply shove the spool with a line i might use in my pocket if it looks like the wind might pick up to an uncomfortable level.

BTW you only have a manufacturers opinion that any rod is the weight they say it is, bit like the "Pirate's Code" more a guideline than an actual code  :z4 :z4 :z4

Magnus Angus

« Reply #7 on: 22/05/2021 at 21:53 »
I'm 100% with Alan on this. Fly rods work well with a range of lines, rod makers know that, they allocate a line rating according to their house styles/range style so they sort of feel consistent. Once a rod comes to live with me, even if only visiting, I will thread up whatever line I like/want and I'm sure the rod designers don't give a monkeys! (I have asked and they honestly don't care.)

Will - short story, I have a Sexyloops 6-weight, nice fast rod as you can imagine. At the time I got that Paul was selling the exact same blank marked #5 as his competition 5 weight. Nowadays, of course, he has gone a little farther, his HT10 is his comp casting rod for a #5 line - that's a rod you me and anyone sane would fish as a 10-weight!  And yes with a #5 MED line through the rings that becomes  a 5-weight outfit - so?

It was standard to overline (match with a heavier line) a rod when casting short, or when spey casting and when learning as far as I know that is still perfectly normal. For that matter it was standard for rod makers to mark a rod to match  a WF6, DT5 and shooting head 7 - the same rod - I'm happy to explain why that makes sense at length, and offer a spreadsheet as evidence :) Sometime in the start of this century we became humourless poe faced purists and a fly rod could only match one line weight/class (even though we were often buying lines which did not/do not stick with the AFFTA line class.) If a heavier or lighter line helps or just suits then go for it - it's your rod.

Magnus

Mike Barrio

« Reply #8 on: 23/05/2021 at 10:06 »
If a heavier or lighter line helps or just suits then go for it - it's your rod.

Absolutely Magnus ..... I couldn't agree more  :z16

Mike Barrio

« Reply #9 on: 23/05/2021 at 10:58 »
Anybody that doesn't experiment with different lines on a rod is probably missing out, a rod that feels good/average with one line, can really come alive with another!

This is usually very much down to personal preferences, but can also be down to conditions and specific tactics.

As I said before, if anybody asks for advice about which line will suit their rod, I'll normally suggest a #4 for a #4, a #5 for a #5 and a general purpose versatile line, simply because for most folk and most situations, this should usually fish reasonably well for them ...... But I have no insight to their personal preferences, conditions, tactics or abilities and something else could well be a better choice.

Cheers
Mike

Keith Elliot

Re: GT 90 #5 New
« Reply #10 on: 23/05/2021 at 12:13 »
Sorry guys but this is to complicated for me, I buy a line to suit the rod and go fishing. Each to their own I suppose. Simples :X2
« Last Edit: 24/05/2021 at 10:12 by Keith Elliot »

Mike Barrio

« Reply #11 on: 23/05/2021 at 12:35 »
Sorry guys but this is to complicated for me, I buy a line to suit the rod and go fishing and don't sweat the small stuff. The fish probably won't notice. Each to their own I suppose. Simples :X2

Each to their own  :z16  ...... would have read a whole lot better!

We are just left wondering why you asked the question in the first place.

Magnus Angus

« Reply #12 on: 23/05/2021 at 14:37 »
Sorry guys but this is to complicated for me, I buy a line to suit the rod and go fishing and don't sweat the small stuff. The fish probably won't notice. Each to their own I suppose. Simples :X2

Ok but you don't know what you're missing :)

Will Shaw

« Reply #13 on: 23/05/2021 at 15:14 »
Will - short story, I have a Sexyloops 6-weight, nice fast rod as you can imagine. At the time I got that Paul was selling the exact same blank marked #5 as his competition 5 weight. Nowadays, of course, he has gone a little farther, his HT10 is his comp casting rod for a #5 line - that's a rod you me and anyone sane would fish as a 10-weight!  And yes with a #5 MED line through the rings that becomes  a 5-weight outfit - so?

Magnus

So? Not sure how what I said has a bearing on that?  You can pretty much put any line on any rod. If you like it, go for it! I guess with Paul, at the time he came out with the comp 5, that's the rod he liked best for hucking the MED out beyond 120'. He later realised that as a general fishing rod he liked it best with a #6. Then he decided he liked a mega-stiff rod for the MED in competitions and hence the HT10. All of which kind of undermines his "all my rods are true to AFFTA ratings" stance - unless you add the phrase " ... for me... for the application I've designed it for...".

My point is: decide on the line you want to use first and find a rod that you like to cast that with. I don't really mind what it says on the blank.

Happy?  :z18

Magnus Angus

« Reply #14 on: 23/05/2021 at 15:54 »
Will

"You can pretty much put any line on any rod."
Agree with that.

I'd go farther and say there are times when a special taper or a simple heavier line makes the rod in my hand more suited to the fishing in front of me. When that same heavier line on a rod marked for that line rating is not as good.
Which is pretty much the same as,
"...decide on the line you want to use....and find a rod that you like to cast that with. I don't really mind what it says on the blank."

"...all my rods are true to AFFTA ratings..."
I must find a source for that and troll Paul forthwith :)
(He will of course answer "You can pretty much put any line on any rod.")

Magnus