Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Stevie Rennie

Re: River Ythan 2021
« Reply #15 on: 21/07/2021 at 19:16 »
Cheers Sandy,

Appreciated info again and now might extend our time to catch the turning tide for an hour or two.

I’ll definitely keep an eye on the terns activity but might not mention it to my nephew, just in case he ends up hooking one  :X1

Duncan McRae

« Reply #16 on: 22/07/2021 at 12:01 »
If you are fishing the North bank then personally,i would consider the Tonely and just below.
I would spin the first half of the dropping tide,switching to the fly for the second.

I've found that the first few minutes of the incoming tide can be productive but i only give it around half an hour.Maybe depends where you are fishing.

Best tip i can give is to check your nylon regularly.
When i first fished the estuary i used to lose so many Sutherland specials when i fished over the razor sharp mussel beds.

Wish they still made these Sutherlands.They are so deadly.

Duncan

Stevie Rennie

« Reply #17 on: 22/07/2021 at 14:51 »
Duncan,

That’s more greatly appreciated  advice, so thanks kindly  :z16

Yep! I’d love a few of those Sutherland Specials myself but lost the last two I had in as many casts.

Really looking forward to my visit now and spent last night watching ‘sea trout battle on fyn’ on YT to inspire me further (well worth checking it out if you haven’t seen it) I’ll report back any success or failure.

Cheers  :z18
Stevie

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #18 on: 23/07/2021 at 18:28 »

Duncan McRae

« Reply #19 on: 23/07/2021 at 21:13 »
I hadn't heard about them Sandy.
Thanks for the heads up.

Duncan

James Laraway

« Reply #20 on: 23/07/2021 at 22:21 »
Be interesting to see if they get it of the ground and how much they are going to charge.
Personally I reckon you could do a weighted plastic version far cheaper than the original alloy (?) version and at less cost but I look forward to seeing the results and good luck to them
quote author=Sandy Nelson link=topic=9071.msg73669#msg73669 date=1627061294]
Anyone contacted these guys?

https://m.facebook.com/Sutherland-Special-104719741870444/posts
[/quote]

Stevie Rennie

Re: Re: River Ythan 2021
« Reply #21 on: 24/07/2021 at 15:11 »
The first Ythan trip went ahead as planned with a few slight adjustments and we managed to tie in with a couple of Ythan regulars.

Concentrating our efforts mainly at Tonely and ending down at Craigs point.
As advised here we started off spinning during high tide and I switched to fly fish with the 9 1/2’ #6  with a sinking line for the last few hours through to low.

Sadly we only connected with a couple of feisty finnock on tasmanian devils and one pull for me on a sand eel pattern.

It was a  decent warm overcast day but not much bird or seal activity to be seen and heard a few comments from the other regular fishers about the lack of action. An occasional bigger fish jumped here & there to keep the interest.

One guy fishing alongside us was into a decent hard fighting fish which ran hard right past us.
Unfortunately he lost it right at the net.
A sore one for him I’m sure but seeing that kept us going in the hope we might be next.

The nephew & I were fortunate enough to receive a blue & silver Sutherland Special each on arrival which I then tried determinedly without a touch and as Duncan warned it got snagged a fair few times.

Determined not to lose the bugger, I was able to wade in just enough each time to get over it & recover.
Even laying down the snagged rod for an hour and set up another while waiting for a decent drop in tide to get in and work it out a real hard snag.

These Sutherland Specials were remakes made by a local guy who I believe only makes for himself and a select few friends.
Very nicely made and to receive a couple was greatly appreciated.

Perhaps he’s the guy behind the page Sandy shared but either way if they come to be available, I’d buy a batch as these looked the part and have the action of the original.

All in all it was an enjoyable first visit in good company and a welcome change from the don.

I’ll certainly have another crack at it with renewed optimism & the good advice you guys kindly shared.

Cheers,  :z18
Stevie

Duncan McRae

« Reply #22 on: 24/07/2021 at 23:28 »
Stevie

That certainly looks like a decent Sutherland.

Pity you didn't get hold of a fish today but next time you might have a bonanza.
Estuary fishing is very unpredictable.

Duncan

Stevie Rennie

« Reply #23 on: 26/07/2021 at 01:35 »
Estuary fishing is very unpredictable.

Duncan

Yep! Happy to learn the intricacies of fishing the estuary and expect it to be every bit as complex as the river.

One thing I’m contemplating this week is the adaa section, I can get access as a guest with my brother and wouldn’t mind a crack there before re-joining next season.
Any thoughts on the adaa section above the bridge?
Worth a try or stick with the more tidal part?

Cheers,
Stevie

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #24 on: 02/08/2021 at 15:16 »
It’s just as tidal Stevie
There’s a really cool channel to fish and I’ve had some great days fishing the ADAA section.
Lends itself nicely to fly fishing too  :z16

Sandy

Stevie Rennie

« Reply #25 on: 03/08/2021 at 14:12 »
It’s just as tidal Stevie
There’s a really cool channel to fish and I’ve had some great days fishing the ADAA section.
Lends itself nicely to fly fishing too  :z16

Sandy

Thanks Sandy  :z16

Sounds like it’s my kinda place, hoping to pay it a visit soon.

Duncan McRae

« Reply #26 on: 06/08/2021 at 10:37 »
Came across this old competition literature the other day.
This would have been the first time i fished the estuary and it proved to be a real baptism of fire.

In it's day,this was a big,prestigious event with dozens of competitors.
I hadn't a clue how to fish the estuary back then so inevitably ended up with a blank, despite all anglers around me taking fish on the same Sutherland special i was fishing!

I remember going back to the weigh in and seeing all the seatrout laid out along with some seabass.
I was hooked.

Duncan

Mike Barrio

« Reply #27 on: 06/08/2021 at 11:00 »
Great stuff Duncan, that's awesome  >)

Phil Duncan

« Reply #28 on: 06/08/2021 at 19:03 »
my old man and munros transport team won that one year..he caught probably the last salmon caught in the competition

Duncan McRae

« Reply #29 on: 15/08/2021 at 12:01 »
ADAA beats have been getting a good cut.
What a difference it makes being able to move around freely and so much easier and quicker to get a fish landed if you are lucky enough to get one.

A small rise in water last week took in a few seatrout and i managed to get one fairly fresh fish, but the water remains low.
I'm seeing the bow waves of running fish in the shallow water most nights but fishing is hard going.
We need a decent rise in water.

Duncan

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com