Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Duncan McRae

Re: River Ythan 2021
« on: 15/05/2021 at 23:16 »
First visit to the Ythan for me this season.

It was a lovely night so headed for the lower half of Gicht.
I looked over the old bridge over the Ythan and was dismayed to see numerous dead trees.Many hundreds all the way down the Ythan ,totally changing the landscape.
Ash die back disease i think.

Headed up to the top of the beat and started to work my way down stream again.
Didn't hook anything of any great size but took many smolts and smaller Browns up to around 9"

I'm sure that there must be some big trout in the Ythan so will keep on trying.

Duncan

Mike Barrio

« Reply #1 on: 16/05/2021 at 11:18 »
I found most fish were smaller in the lower half of the beat when I fished it Duncan, it wasn't until I got up nearer the castle that I picked up any better ones. By better ones I mean 'trophy' fish of 8-12 inches, and they were not easy to find  *smiley-smile*

I do remember a trout of around 5-6 lbs being caught a few years back, but not on the fly.

I always hoped it would be a bit like the Ury up there, but that wasn't my experience, perhaps I simply failed  *smiley-grin*

Duncan McRae

« Reply #2 on: 16/05/2021 at 13:07 »
It could be that the big fish are simply not there Mike.
Maybe there's just not enough feeding for them and they end up going to sea?

Duncan

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 16/05/2021 at 16:59 »
Maybe Duncan, but from Methlick down the way, I'd expect there to be a few decent fish ..... there certainly used to be  *smiley-smile*

Duncan McRae

« Reply #4 on: 01/07/2021 at 19:29 »
Took this hard fighting seatrout from a favourite middle beat the other night.

Darkness and an uncut river bank made landing the fish a real nightmare but luckily it stayed on.
Although i have had bigger fish from the estuary,this is my best fish from the actual river.

Duncan

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 01/07/2021 at 20:22 »
Nice one Duncan  *smiley-smile*

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #6 on: 01/07/2021 at 22:01 »
Nice fish Duncan :z16

Eddie

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #7 on: 02/07/2021 at 05:49 »
Lovely fish Duncan *smiley-love*

Stevie Rennie

Re: Re: River Ythan 2021
« Reply #8 on: 02/07/2021 at 14:13 »
Cracking fish, well done  :z16

Especially with the added risk the jungle esque banks bring.

Looks quite similar to the one I caught last night too  :X2

Stevie Rennie

Re: Re: River Ythan 2021
« Reply #9 on: 21/07/2021 at 15:33 »
I’m planning my first ever visit to the Ythan this friday.
My nephews being dragged off the playstation and will be spinning, with me on the fly.

Hoping for a little advice from anyone familiar with it.

So far the plan is from the north bank but not sure where’s best.
From what I can see on the website the recommended traditional start time from the bank is at actual high tide, is that correct?

Just had the thought in my mind that you would be better to fish  during the incoming tide but I’m sure there’s a logical reason. :z8

My thought was to use a 9ft #5, but could go 9 1/2 #6 /7 or 11’ #6/7 and to grab a few tasmanian devils and toby type lures from somers for my nephew and a few recommended flies.

Any recommendations from you experienced chaps on flies & tactics would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Stevie

James Laraway

« Reply #10 on: 21/07/2021 at 15:55 »
so from my experience ( a good few years ago)  was
 - the best bit was above or just below the road bridge - not sure if you premit allows you there ? It was best an hour either side of low water. Too shallow to spin above the road bridge so i used fly. Just below the bridge its deeper so spinning is just the job
 - for flies I just tied up some 'terrors'. Long shank size 6 or 8s with two cock hackle feathers as the wing. Brown (wing) and gold (body) is very good, and i also found yellow and black (brahama feathers). I tendeded to strip them on a fast sinker....
- for spinning pick up some tasmanian devils as i found them the best ( apart from the obvious sutherland specials)

hope that helps a bit....

Stevie Rennie

« Reply #11 on: 21/07/2021 at 16:08 »
Thanks James,

That’s helpful and appreciated info.

According to the map online, I believe the permit allows above and below the bridge down to the mouth, so good to know I can access where you recommend.
A fast sinking line is now in the bag and terrors added to the list too  :z16

James Laraway

« Reply #12 on: 21/07/2021 at 16:31 »
the water above the bridge will only go up to your knees at low water but dont let that put you off. The fish sit sit in the very shallow streamy water....
I only even fisher above the bridge 30 mins before and after low tide....

Stevie Rennie

« Reply #13 on: 21/07/2021 at 17:30 »
Cheers James,

Quality info and I’ll give that a try before heading home at low tide.
The high tides due at 13:00 so aiming to be there around 11:30am and then fish through the outgoing tide based on that statement on the page of the traditional bank start time being at height of the tide.

Still can’t get my head round not fishing the incoming tide but sure someone will explain?  :X1

Could it be to let the estuary fill up with fish before actually fishing and scaring them off entering :z8

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #14 on: 21/07/2021 at 18:31 »
Stevie

My experience of the estuary is it can fish on most of the tide, but 2hrs either side of low tide is usually best. The fish move into and out of the river with the tide so the terns are usually the best indicator as to where the fish may be congregating at any given point as they are chasing the same bait fish that the seatrout are after.
It’s good fun :z16

Sandy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com