Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Fishing Jackets?
« on: 09/05/2021 at 12:47 »
Do we need fishing jackets, or perhaps something like this does the job?

Lightweight short summer jacket with a high collar, an integrated hood,  seven pockets and elastic cuffs and hem.

https://www.military1st.co.uk/10331505-mil-tec-air-force-jacket-coyote.html

Hamish Young

Re: Fishing Jackets?
« Reply #1 on: 09/05/2021 at 15:29 »
Interesting question Mr B  >)
As it happens, as I am 'larger than your average chap' I have difficulty sourcing suitable gear.
From a similar provider of new/used ex-military kit I bought a Gore-Tex jacket, with hood and all the space I'm going to need.
If I layer up it's ace and did a grand job of keeping me dry on the Findhorn yesterday  when the weather closed in.

The issue comes more when you're wading deeply in something other than a designed wading jacket, to my mind that's where a compromise product meant for something else can be less than ideal. But I am in favour of exploring products from other sports/industry that have an application for fishing  :z16

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 09/05/2021 at 15:39 »
Great stuff H  >)

You might find in years to come (as I have) that as you start to get a bit older deep wading becomes less desirable  *smiley-grin*

I can still cope with deep wading, but the odds for it ending up in taking a swim are ever increasing.

I'm currently at the stage where 'above the knees' is just fine  *smiley-lol*

Steven Kidd

« Reply #3 on: 09/05/2021 at 17:30 »
Hi,

For a day like yesterday, i wore a Snugpak Sleeka, which is actually the old miltary 'softie'.  Its technically not waterproof, but even when soaking wet it is still warm.  The best jacket I have ever owned and was ~£70.  Its also short so can go over chest waders and you'd still wade fine.  And made in uk.

For more outdoor pursuits, I like Buffalo Systems gear, another Made in UK company and great kit, more like a smock than a jacket but ideal for under waders on cold dreich days.

If you do want a proper waterprrof that can still breath and wick your sweat on a mild but wet day.....then the only thing to have is a Paramo.  I have tried literally everything for days on the hills and for days out shooting, nothing comes close.  But these can be a pricey piece of kit.

Hope this helps, I've spent many a day on the hills walking, shooting and in boats on lochs, tried many things.

Steven

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 09/05/2021 at 21:42 »
I like Paramo gear as well Steven  :z16

« Reply #5 on: 18/05/2021 at 15:13 »
I have always been a bit particular about the cuffs on my fishing jackets. Something that keeps the water out scores highly with me, and I have found many / most jackets fall short on this score.

I have not looked into them in much depth, but it has been suggested that canoeing jackets could be worth considering.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com