Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Josh Richards

allergies coming
« on: 26/04/2021 at 02:07 »
I used to tie flies when I was younger and I recall getting a really sore throat every time I was in contact with the materials.  I thought i would get back into it again now i have got back into fishing but as soon as I got the materials out within 15 mins I felt my throat closing over.  I have been trying to eliminate over the past few weeks what is causing me the problem but i think think it is the feathers......
Should I try bamboo pillows instead? Or latex are better
Does anyone else has this problem?

Graham Ritchie

Re: allergies coming
« Reply #1 on: 26/04/2021 at 10:31 »
It may be that you are allergic to a particular material, one of my friends is allergic to rabbit hair and many years ago, when I ran some fly tying classes, one of the guys had a bad reaction to deer hair.

James Laraway

« Reply #2 on: 26/04/2021 at 13:01 »
i agree with Mr Richie

perhaps try a process of elimination....

Jeff Donovan

« Reply #3 on: 27/04/2021 at 00:12 »
I've heard that some people who tie their own offerings, do suffer some allergy reactions from the materials they use, an unfortunate situation if you don't actually know what that material is. As fly tyers, there are so many to eliminate. Maybe a face mask & some surgical latex gloves could help. As mentioned, trial & error.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com