Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Rainbow Fishers?
« on: 20/04/2021 at 12:22 »
Do you enjoy fishing for Rainbows?

I'm sure there are  quite a few keen Rainbow fishers amongst the forum members  :)

I know I naturally lean towards fishing for Brownies on the river, and sometimes lochs ( which tend to involve a bit more distance ) but I do also enjoy a few hours fishing for rainbows. Especially if the fish are willing to look up, an evening rise on a stillwater can be good fun.

Cheers
Mike

Gavin Stevenson

Re: Rainbow Fishers?
« Reply #1 on: 20/04/2021 at 12:55 »
I have similar opinon to yourself Mike. I enjoy few hours at Midmar occasionally which has nice backdrop and can be great fun with buzzers

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 20/04/2021 at 13:00 »
I haven't been up to Midmar fishery for many years Gavin, must fix that  :z16

James Laraway

« Reply #3 on: 20/04/2021 at 22:58 »
I do fish for rainbows occasionally but I tend to come away feeling 'empty'. It's not that they are rainbows per say but more that they are stocked fish and I just don't get the same buzz as when I catch wild fish.
I would probably feel different fishing for over wintered rainbows in say a big reservoir but small 'holes in the ground' just don't do it for me as a general rule. Forbes if Kingennie is the only stocked fishery I really liked but I mainly fished the boathouse pool that is 'wilder' and more difficult to fish due to all the trees etc. Interesting I was the only person fishing it - everyone else fished the other pools where they didn't need to worry about their backcast !

Gavin Stevenson

« Reply #4 on: 21/04/2021 at 06:52 »
James, agree with sentiment, I actually limit my 'techniques' to buzzer and dries.

Steven Kidd

« Reply #5 on: 21/04/2021 at 10:44 »
I do enjoy fishing for Rainbows but I set my own rules on flies etc......I take great satisfaction in getting the traditional wet flies working and traditional style winged dries when the times right.

However I do get even more of a buzz from catching any size wild brownie from River or Loch than I do from landing a 15lb plus Rainbow Trout. 

I think rainbow trout fisheries have in a way created the obsession with numbers of fish caught in a 'session' and also the size of fish caught which to me isn't what makes me tick personally.  I have heard people on the bank at fisheries disappointed they only caught 8 fish!.  Rainbow trout are a bit like the hunting equivalent of shooting a cow you've fed all year and then appearing amazed at the size of it!..........whereas  brown trout are more like deer stalking....and taking days to find the deer first?

I think that Rainbow Trout fisheries are great places, don't get me wrong, but sometimes I feel some of the methods used and encouraged to catch them dilute the ethos of 'fly' fishing to the point that those new to the pastime could go on for years and not know what a Greenwells Glory is.

Steven

James Abel

« Reply #6 on: 23/04/2021 at 07:42 »
I fish for rainbows most the time. I did start doing the rivers last year.  But never caught anything bigger than 3/4lb. But am sure it will come  I did get a few pulls but nothing stuck. Iv yet to get the waders out this year but hopefully next time home.

Terry Coging

« Reply #7 on: 23/04/2021 at 14:01 »
I am alongside Stephen with the 'ethos' of fly fishing, although I mainly fish for rainbows (with a few brownies). Not much choice here in the Midlands, however my two main reservoirs are big. One is quite wild and varied and holds some lovely overwintered fish and some wild browns.  These reservoirs are harder to catch in than the many Highland Lochs  that I have  fished and require a greater deal of flexibility in styles. Using 'Loch' experience does help on the reservoirs though. I don't envy the competition angler - I just enjoy a more sublime experience.  A by product of this attitude is that as the fish become more educated my rod average improves against the big 'cast and pull' boys.

Kav Ring

« Reply #8 on: 16/06/2021 at 22:33 »
Being down in oxford I am fairly limited to fishing for browns locally so do tend to fish for rainbows. Even in my short fishing career I've started to lean toward slight more 'traditional' patterns and love a bit of sight fishing if possible. Would much rather catch a couple of smaller 1-2lb fish that scrap (and taste better if I take them) than some fat beast or a loads of easy fish. 

Bob Mitchell

« Reply #9 on: 22/07/2021 at 12:37 »
One of the lochs i am a member of has gone from a good browns to the rainbows. It is about 86 acres and has several islands on it and is a very peaceful place. The overwintered bows are great and will give any sea trout a run for the money. There are a few blues which must be one of the most exciting fish to play the way it is in the air a lot. There is a lot of problems with cormorants and there is at the end of the breeding time well over 200 Canada geese which have turned the loch to rich in nitrogen, If the summers continue this way i think Brows will in a lot of places be a fish of the past sadly.
Anyone that thinks they are easy [rainbows] should try for them when they are on the buzzer.
Bob.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #10 on: 10/08/2021 at 14:31 »
I enjoy the sociable side of trout fishery fishing  :)

You can comfortably fish within a few yards of friends and chat away while you do so, where we would normally fish the next pool or whatever on the river and meet up again at the end of the evening.

Mind you, I've got this sussed on the river with Sandy ..... he fishes and I watch  *smiley-lol*

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com