Forum > Main Discussion Area

What price for a days trout fishing?

(1/4) > >>

Hamish Young:
Later this year - round the corner, not far away - I hit 50. Now due to the pandemic the plans started to change last year and have dwindled from the concpet of a 'grand adventure' to a family holiday for a week and (to the surprise of some) we've chosen to come back to the 'shire' for a weeks stay near Lumphanan.  There had to be a fishing element and I rather thought I would have a day - perhaps - on the Don and possibly in pursuit of trout. I have not seriously fished a river for Trout since leaving Aberdeenshire over a decade ago.

So, with the stage set, let me tell you a story. One of the cottages we looked at letting for a week is on a Donside estate somewhere upstream of Alford.
When I did hear back from the owners we had already booked somewhere else but, amongst the prices they gave me, was the costs of a days fishing. Long story short, £40/day plus VAT for trout fishing. That's not a mixed ticket or a typo - £40+ VAT.
It's a not bad beat, but it's not that good. I'm not sure that £50 (effectively) for a days trout fishing on the Don is  - well - acceptable :? It does not sit well with me.
But - I am a reasonable kind of chap - explain to me that I am wrong to baulk at £50 for a days trout fishing on the Upper Don. Specifically the Don, I don't care about it being value compared to a chalkstream or some elite water  :wink

H

James Laraway:
£50 for a days salmon fishing on a good beat of the Don in autumn, fine.

That price for trout fishing only? Someone is taking the....

£30 or £35 for a good beat for the day would be ok.....

Mike Barrio:
£15 to £25 on most of the River Don beats that I fish for trout Hamish  :z16

I've not fished anywhere above £25 that I can remember and £15 is pretty much considered the norm.

Clive Smith:
That's the north / south divide for you, never paid under £40 for catch and release

Eddie Sinclair:
H,

£25 is the max I have ever paid for wild brown trout fishing in Scotland, fifty quid is mental. I am sure you can drive a short distance up or down the river and get equally good fishing at a fraction of the price.

Eddie

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version