Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Eddie Sinclair

SNOT
« on: 16/04/2021 at 12:04 »
Reading fly tying and fly fishing recently I came across an article from an Irish gentlemen describing a fly called the SNOT. This is a wet fly with a deer hair wing. This looked great to me so I have copied the original from his article and made some modifications of my own.

This is the SNOT. Tail of dyed pheasant tail fibres. Body one half pearl tinsel and one half of claret seal fur. ribbed with red wire, Claret hen body hackle and an ELK hair wing (the original is deer hair) and collar of Grizzle hen.

I have made some additional things on this theme but the one below is a sort of pearly invicta bumble type fly. Hopefully be out and through them into a loch soon and see how they perform.

This one is GP crest tail, pearl tinsel body with gold tinsel rib, body hackle ginger hen, wing of Elk hair and collar hackle of dyed blue grizzle Hen.

It will be interesting to see what the Loch brownies think of these, as always the trout will be the judge.

Eddie. :z18

James Laraway

Re: SNOT
« Reply #1 on: 16/04/2021 at 12:10 »
Very nice...

Steven Kidd

« Reply #2 on: 16/04/2021 at 12:59 »
I love the look of those, and I bet the brownies will too,  :z16

Allan Liddle

« Reply #3 on: 19/04/2021 at 07:50 »
Perfect.

Iain Cameron

« Reply #4 on: 21/04/2021 at 11:44 »
hi Eddie

love the bumble invicta pattern. i've not read that FF&FT article (still got a couple of back issues to read) but will be very interested to compare your tying to the articles. I'm intrigued about how this one will act in the water - a bit sunk, but bouyant because of the deer hair? that would work for me

cheers
iain

Peter McCallum

« Reply #5 on: 21/04/2021 at 13:27 »
Used to use a hair wing invicta years ago down in Campbeltown and it was great late season when sedges were on the water

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #6 on: 21/04/2021 at 15:11 »
Iain,

Like you I am waiting to see how the wing affects the fly when retrieved. When the COVID rules change next Monday I will be heading to the caravan at loch Earn and will be road testing these. I will let you know how they get on.

Eddie

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #7 on: 26/04/2021 at 12:30 »

Didn’t even put my waders on, had three casts from the bank on Loch Earn and this was the result on the Claret Snot. I will be out properly later today with the waders on and check if it was a fluke or not.

Eddie

Jeff Donovan

« Reply #8 on: 27/04/2021 at 00:04 »
Proof of the pudding eh. Well done sir.   :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com