Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Re: Highland lochs - 2021
« Reply #15 on: 16/07/2021 at 23:08 »
Great stuff James, and nice pics 👍

Sounds like another trip or two in different conditions might be on the cards.

James Laraway

Highland lochs - 2021 - a trip after the 'wee fellas'
« Reply #16 on: 19/07/2021 at 09:25 »
So popped out for a couple of hours last night on the tube to go for quantity over quality but it was a struggle.

I think all of the warm weather may be taking its toll - plus i'm too slow on the strike  *smiley-lol*

My first cast had a soldier palmer on point and watten warrior on dropper  - soldier palmer always delivers on this water.

I am not joking when I say i missed the first 8 or 10 fish....

So I changed tactics and has a small CDC hopper dropper and beetle imitation on point.  I was soon 'in'. A nice wee fish. Next cast I'm 'in again'. That's the formula thinks me. No. I missed the next few.

Switch to a bead head nymph on point and soldier palmer then it gets hammered by this wee beauty

Tough going but a lovely evening

Mike Barrio

« Reply #17 on: 19/07/2021 at 10:33 »
Nice  >)

Andy Finlay

« Reply #18 on: 19/07/2021 at 23:46 »
Notice your post on Lochindorb. I used to go in past on my way from Aberdeen to Inverness and spend an hour or two catching double figure numbers or trout. I also spend a week in aviemore every August and used to pop through for a few hours every holiday and catch plenty of fish. Unfortunately the loch has been decimated in recent years and not a loch I fish anymore. I seriously can't see it being just fishing pressure by humans so can make your own decision on pike. It's a fly only water and has always been due to the local rare birds. Unfortunately I do think someone(s) actions has ended up destroying a once fun loch for some trout fishing but others will have different options.

James Laraway

« Reply #19 on: 20/07/2021 at 09:46 »
As a former 'super keen' pike fisherman I struggle with the thought that pike can all but wipe out the trout in lochindorb given their former numbers and the size of the loch.  However having seen no sign of any trout and the number of small pike maybe this has happened ? I plan to go back again so I'll let you know.

Has anyone else fished lochindorb so is able to comment ?

I know the weather has been super hot but on a nice evening i expected to see people out trout fishing but I had the loch to myself bar paddle boarders....

Notice your post on Lochindorb. I used to go in past on my way from Aberdeen to Inverness and spend an hour or two catching double figure numbers or trout. I also spend a week in aviemore every August and used to pop through for a few hours every holiday and catch plenty of fish. Unfortunately the loch has been decimated in recent years and not a loch I fish anymore. I seriously can't see it being just fishing pressure by humans so can make your own decision on pike. It's a fly only water and has always been due to the local rare birds. Unfortunately I do think someone(s) actions has ended up destroying a once fun loch for some trout fishing but others will have different options.

James Laraway

Highland lochs - biggest yet on the fly....
« Reply #20 on: 25/07/2021 at 22:33 »
So I got the opportunity to pop out for a few hours tonight but there were a few challenges...

No1 - my Air1 is back with Vosseler to get fixed. Sent it in the post almost 3 weeks ago but thanks to brexit its still stuck in customs. Fishing a #6 feels too heavy now so to get back on my #4 glass i needed a new reel as a temporary fix. Enter Mr Barrio with his 'clicker reel' ( takes a wee bit of backing plus a small stream #4)
No2 - cant find my usual 6lb cast material and don't like the 4 lb version so made up some casts with some Seaguar that Mr Terry Cogging was kind enough to send me to try out

So I'm ready and set sail in the tube with an olive hog on the dropper and my 'mini-shuggie' on the point. Its about 7.30pm, light wind and about 17 degrees

About 10 casts in and I'm about to lift off, there is a pull and a swirl.....After a minute or two I see the fish thanks to my polariods as it swims past me. Holy moley i think....

The fish bores deep and after a dogged fight its safely in the net. It's the biggest wild trout I've landed on the fly.

What an absolute  brute and a real old 'warrior' - took the mini-shuggie !

The pictures don't do it justice as it was actually very thick across the back.

a big thank you to Mike and Terry  :z16

( Terry - I can safely say I'm now a convert to seaguar as was glad for the 8.8lb breaking strain!)

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #21 on: 25/07/2021 at 23:04 »
Belter,

Good to see another convert to the seaguar, that is all I have used for many years now in Durness.

Congrats on you PB.

Eddie

Mike Barrio

« Reply #22 on: 26/07/2021 at 00:31 »
Great stuff James, what a way to christen that wee reel  :z16

Cheers
Mike

Stevie Rennie

« Reply #23 on: 26/07/2021 at 01:20 »
Well done James,

What a cracker  :z16
I guess that well and truly answers the question of whether there are any trout left.

Maybe it’s balanced out a bit like loch of skene here in aberdeenshire, big trout there but very hard to encounter and a healthy pike population. Although I believe that was decimated since I fished there last, many years ago.

James Laraway

« Reply #24 on: 26/07/2021 at 09:19 »
Thanks chaps.

The angle of the fish in the photo makes it looks pretty skinny but it was in pretty good nick and thick across the shoulders.

What a great evening. After landing it in the first 10 mins I almost gave up as I thought " its just not going to get better than that....."

of course i never saw another fish all !

James Laraway

« Reply #25 on: 26/07/2021 at 20:03 »
better photo from my other camera...gives a better idea of the thickness ( looked pretty skinny from the phone photos..)

Steven Kidd

« Reply #26 on: 27/07/2021 at 10:15 »
That's a cracker James, look how dark coloured, love the variations in Brownies.

Steven

Terry Coging

« Reply #27 on: 27/07/2021 at 14:47 »
What a beauty James! 

The Seaguar 8.8lb does seem like overkill for trout but at 0.205mm it is only the same thickness of many 6lb lines. When 'wafting' I use 11.6lb for the butt/top dropper due to it's stiffness and even that is only 0.235mm.

James Laraway

« Reply #28 on: 04/08/2021 at 22:40 »
One on the 'infamous' pink tailed grouse ordie tonight...measured 45 cms long and in excellent condition

Not the best photo but a clunker of a wild brownie....and well chuffed to get my first fish on the pink tailed  grouse ordie

Steven Kidd

« Reply #29 on: 04/08/2021 at 23:06 »
James,

Do you live in heaven?

:-)

Steven

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com