Do you live in heaven?

:-)

Steven

I was just thinking the same!!

James Laraway

Re: Highland lochs - 2021
« Reply #31 on: 05/08/2021 at 14:22 »
A fishing pal often says I've 'done a deal with the devil'

I think it goes back to a day on Loch Lee  at the head of glen esk.

First we were catching lots of small brownies. It was my first trip there, my pal had been before. I was using one of those clips that lets you change flies  on the dropper without tying a knot (thereby preserving the length of the dropper). I landed one and it wasn't even hooked - I'd hooked it on the clip rather than on the fly  *smiley-lol*

The I proceeded to catch a lovely red bellied char which none of the group had ever manged on their previous trips. Better to be lucky than skilled...

On a more serious note there are sooooo many lochs up here to choose from - it's a lovely part of the country.  Aberdeenshire was great for the rivers (Don, Deveron etc) but there aren't really that many lochs. Up here is the opposite - lots of loch but not really good brownie rivers.

Luckily I prefer fishing lochs - and there a LOT more for me to try believe me...

James,

Do you live in heaven?

:-)

Steven

Allan Liddle

Re: Highland lochs - 2021
« Reply #32 on: 10/08/2021 at 20:29 »
Cracking troots from Lochindorb James and great to see a few still there.
Sadly the trout fishing is a mere shadow of its former self and whilst you can catch a few large ones, the days of loads of sport to free rising fish are long gone.

Pike are not native in this country and i can't find an example of a water that gives excellent trout fishing as well as holds pike unless it is heavily managed / stocked, as pike are one of the very few apex predators that can all but wipe out a prey species then survive / thrive on itself.
Just to be clear i love pike, but always very saddened when they are illegally placed into wild trout lochs.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com