Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

James Laraway

Highland lochs - 2021
« on: 15/04/2021 at 19:18 »
So I got out for 2 hours this afternoon in the scorching highland sunshine and it didn't disappoint. Fast sinking line from the bank, one of Cravens 'thin mints' on the point and ended up with a lovely wild brownie within 10 mins of starting . Photos aren't too good ( i blame the sun !) but a lovely couple of hours even if I didnt touch another fish...

Hamish Young

Re: Highland lochs - 2021
« Reply #1 on: 15/04/2021 at 22:50 »
Bonnie trout indeed  :z16

Allan Liddle

« Reply #2 on: 19/04/2021 at 07:48 »
Beautiful trout James.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 19/04/2021 at 08:57 »
Great stuff  :z16

James Laraway

« Reply #4 on: 23/05/2021 at 13:12 »
3rd trip of the season yestarday.

Got out in the afternoon for 3 hours. Arrived at the loch and it was sunshine, rain, hail....so left the road with the floating line in the car and went for the fast sinker.
'Yeti' on the point and bumble on the dropper.
Showers on and off...i was not hopeful.
Went down the far end of the loch and it was nice and calm. Saw a few 'dimples' on the surface but though 'bubble of released gas'
Had a cast and caught a fish of about 3/4 lb - one the bumble
So, they are fish and not gas....
Cursing i hadnt brought the floater i rummaged in my bag and found my spare spool with an intermedite SLX - better then a fast sinker...
Put on a half-hog hopper - landed the fly between two very small rises and was hit like a tonne of bricks. Really hard fight and a lovely wild trout of about 2 lbs in great condition.

Here's me thinking " I'm gonna 'bag up...... "
Fish kept rising but never touched another  *smiley-shocking*
Next time the floater will be in my rucksack !

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 23/05/2021 at 13:19 »
Great stuff and a cracking fish James :z16

Cheers
Mike

James Laraway

« Reply #6 on: 25/05/2021 at 11:55 »
Thanks Mike. I got snapped a couple of times at the beginning of last season due to really hard hits (i was using 6lb leader ) so I upped my leader strength to 8lbs for this spring and no issues so far ...

8lb may sound like overkill but it does add in extra absorption for if a fish really hammers the fly.....

Terry Coging

« Reply #7 on: 25/05/2021 at 21:26 »
Lovely trout James.
Re using 8lb instead of 6lb leader -  using modern, high quality leader, 8lb is the new 6lb.  I use 8.8lb 0.205mm for wets and 6.6lb 0,185mm for dries. There is still a lot of 6lb staff around at well over 0.2mm dia.

Duncan McRae

« Reply #8 on: 25/05/2021 at 22:23 »
Really Bonnie trout.
I'm assuming that it's peat that gives them the dark colour?

Duncan

James Laraway

« Reply #9 on: 26/05/2021 at 09:13 »
I think so yes.
There is one 'bog loch' that I fish that is packed with tiddlers. The water is almost black and so are the fish which  are almost jet black !

Really Bonnie trout.
I'm assuming that it's peat that gives them the dark colour?

Duncan

James Laraway

« Reply #10 on: 04/07/2021 at 07:58 »
so, back on my 'home' lochs after my trip to Assynt.

Popped up to the loch in the evening after a very warm day.  Nice light breeze so hopes were high for a rise.

After a long walk there was a rise in front of me, popped out a cast, the fish rose but no contact.

10 mins later another rise, and of course the backcast caught in the heather and the fish moved on....urgh. This happened again ....double urgh

The wind picked up a bit so i moved from 'hoppers' to lures - mini-shuggie on the point and a muddler lure on the droppper.

5 mins later just as i was lifting off a boil and a pluck - missed.....

However my luck changes and the shuggie then did the job with this 'chunker'

As you can see the fish was in amazing condition and even spewed up a fish spine from a previous 'victim'

Two mins later I was in again - a longer fish but also in lovely condition

Mike Barrio

« Reply #11 on: 04/07/2021 at 22:39 »
Nice one James  :z16

James Laraway

« Reply #12 on: 05/07/2021 at 09:58 »
thanks Mike. The for the' mini shuggie' i used some of the tiny 'bath chain beads' that you get on clothing labels sometimes as they are small and light and it means i can cast them with ease on a #4. The small stream turns the mini-lures over very well  - so not just for nymphing or dry fly  :z16

Allan Liddle

« Reply #13 on: 11/07/2021 at 11:16 »
Nice James.
Thinking of a visit to this water tomorrow as light winds forecast so might be a good day for dries .

James Laraway

Highland lochs - Lochindorb
« Reply #14 on: 16/07/2021 at 12:47 »
So, for the first time I thought i would take a trip last night to Lochindorb ( as its about 40 mins from the house)

As there are pike in it I opted to take the #10 as well as a trout rod - hoping I could get both a trout and a pike.
The weather at 7pm was about 20 degrees up there but there was a nice light wind so i headed out in the tube.
Tried fishing with pike pike flies but to no avail
Switch to 'big trout streamers' such as the 'swim coach' ( as it looks like a small jack pike) and all of a sudden 'in'
For my time i landed 5 and lost / missed a few.
As for the tout - i never saw a single rise, spalsh or jump.
I did have a good few casts to see if i could raise anything - not a touch.
Lochindorb was once famed for being FULL of trout .........
Have the pike eaten them into submission ? From what i saw ( or rather didnt see) i think i have to say yes. Although i hope i am wrong.
As a famous actor once said "I'll be back..."
(but probably for the pike)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com