Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Ben Crichton

New rod
« on: 03/04/2021 at 08:07 »
Bad first day out yesterday! My shakespeare agility 2 fly rod disintegrated at the first connection. Almost like the butt section came through the section above. It's ruined covered in hair line cracks. I heard it creaking as I was casting but thought nothing of it. Only used it around 10 times with the whole pandemic etc.

Am I a victim of buying cheap, buying twice?! I've got in contact with the supplier but I've lost confidence to be honest.  My real question is, I'm looking at a more expensive rod and came across the orvis clearwater rods. Does anyone have any experience with them, or any suitable alternatives. Looking at around 7ft 3-4 for dry fly/stalking brown trout!

Cheers

Ben

Terry Coging

Re: New rod
« Reply #1 on: 03/04/2021 at 09:37 »
Ben - you may have been unlucky although a creaking joint sounds like a loose spigot fit.
I've used Agilities for years with no problem. Still use one for dries. Lovely sweet rod and landed some fair lumps on it.
I've never broken a Shakey, although I have broken a rod costing 12 x as much - twice!
If you liked the rod, why not buy another and then have spare tops?

Ben Crichton

« Reply #2 on: 03/04/2021 at 13:38 »
Hi Terry, thanks for the reply.

Was bought from GAC and they say there's nothing I can do as it was bought in 2019 and the warranty is only 1 year.  Think I'll try to get a section replaced, they gave me a link to try.

Cheers

Ben

James Laraway

« Reply #3 on: 03/04/2021 at 22:15 »
Or go glass....Taniwha rodworks 7'6 #4.....I love mine....

Fred Hay

« Reply #4 on: 04/04/2021 at 06:41 »
Hi Ben
I'm like Terry and used Aglitiy rods for a good number of years without any problem - the first time was for a trip to Alaska fishing for silver salmon and I bought 2 rated at 8 and 10wt to take with me as I was sure they would be abused and if they did break it would not be a loss.
I predominately used the 8wt and they landed circa  400 salmon to 18lb being played extremely hard on barbless hooks - without an issue.  And I've since added
a 5wt 10ft (x2),  a 8/9wt 11ft switch and a 9wt 13ft salmon rod to my collection which I can just throw in the back of motor and not worry about.
I guess you must have been unlucky - I would buy another as they are cheap although not quite the fine finish you get with more expensive rods.
Good luck with your choice
Fred

Ben Crichton

« Reply #5 on: 07/04/2021 at 11:42 »
Just an update chaps,

Order a new section from the approved supplier. Quarter the price of the rod plus 7.99 delivery. See how I get on with it from here on.

Cheers

Ben

Mike Barrio

« Reply #6 on: 07/04/2021 at 11:56 »
Sounds good Ben  :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com