Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Dez Fineron

Identify this....
« on: 28/03/2021 at 19:59 »
Evening all,

I caught this the other day on the Don on a trout setup and I believed it to be a sea trout due to the shape of the tail (square) the eye extends past the scissor bone (hard to see that in the photo), the amount of spots below the lateral line and the shape of the mouth/head. After reporting it to Fred Hay, he thinks it might be a well mended kelt.

Interested  to hear everyone’s thoughts?

Thanks
Dez

Sandy Nelson

Re: Identify this....
« Reply #1 on: 28/03/2021 at 20:07 »
Looks like a nice Sea trout Kelt to me  :z16
This time of the year there are plenty of them and they feed aggressively

Dez Fineron

« Reply #2 on: 28/03/2021 at 20:08 »
Thanks Sandy, it certainly smashed the fly with aggression.  The head shakes were intense throughout the fight.

James Laraway

« Reply #3 on: 29/03/2021 at 09:18 »
definitely agree with Sandy on that one - sea trout kelt.

I never really tired for sea trout on the don, which is a shame - probably as i couldn't muster the energy to stay up at night. Plus of course i could head up the road to the Ythan estuary and catch them during the day  :z16

Dez Fineron

« Reply #4 on: 29/03/2021 at 10:01 »
Cheers James,

This was taken in the middle of the day so get out and find them, there must be more!! I wasn’t really targeting them either. Would like to target them on the deveron/ythan one day.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 29/03/2021 at 13:38 »
I don't fish for Sea Trout at night on the Don, or even target them. But I did try a few night sessions back in the 90s, which didn't prove productive for me :z8

I have caught quite a few over the years, feeding in amongst the Brownies  :z12

In my experience, the fresh ones can start to make an appearance as early as mid April on the Don.

Cheers
Mike

Dez Fineron

« Reply #6 on: 29/03/2021 at 13:49 »
Thanks for your input Mike,  interesting. I do enjoy fishing for them. Maybe get out for some dusk sessions in April, see if I can find an early one.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com