Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Dez Fineron

Introducing myself
« on: 17/03/2021 at 07:49 »
How’s it all,

I’m new to the trout fishing around the don. It’s been a while since I’ve done any fly fishing as I’ve been moving around a lot. Keen to get back to it. If anyone wouldn’t mind recommending me some patterns and sizes to get me back into the swing of things that would be greatly appreciated. Back in NZ i fished the indicator/dry dropper but willing to experiment and hear everyone’s thoughts.

Interested to hear everyone’s thoughts on Mike’s leaders as well,  length as well as presentation type. Mike’s been very helpful with advice and so I’d like to support a fellow kiwi.  Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Dez

Mike Barrio

Re: Introducing myself
« Reply #1 on: 17/03/2021 at 12:32 »
Hi Dez ..... Welcome to the forum  :z16

I haven't fished the NZ style dry n dropper on the Don, but I know plenty of friends that do, very successfully.

It's a river that you have to get to know, most flies and tactics work well, it seems to be more about getting your confidence than anything else.

I'm sure the others will offer you a few pointers to what works for them, but for some initial ideas check out https://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/river-don-trout-flies.html and https://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/river-don-trout-tactics.html

Best wishes
Mike

Dez Fineron

« Reply #2 on: 17/03/2021 at 15:51 »
Thank’s Mike, I’ve been reading through this forum for most of the day, learning lots

Brian Kupris

« Reply #3 on: 21/03/2021 at 09:56 »
I'm based in Argyll and hopefully making my first foray on the Don for trout first week of May if travel restrictions allow? Just found this forum and I can see it will be very helpful and informative  :cool:

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 21/03/2021 at 11:14 »
Hi Brian .... Welcome to the forum  :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com