Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

wildfisher

Fishing the Don in 2007 - some questions
« Reply #30 on: 31/10/2006 at 19:32 »
Quote from: "Alwyn"
Presumably there is a healthy population of trout generally in the Don?  

Presumably  :z4

Just kidding Alwyn. There are lots of fish, although sometimes you would swear there is not a fish in it. It is incredibly rich and fertile. A quick glance at the river bed will show cased caddis in numbers you will not see elsewhere. Fertiliser run-off is thought  to have enriched it further (do a google search – Macauly institute) and this may have had an effect on the behaviour of the fish. Their condition tells  you that they   can afford to be choosy so it takes something special to bring them up. Add to that the "fickle"  (a synonym for cold, windy and raw) spring climate of the north east and it all adds up to many a blank day. As Irvine said above, one fish in three trips is a reasonable expectation – last season I averaged 1 fish per  two trips - that does not include the legions of parr / smolts  – but they tend to come to the downstream wet fly which is not a good method on the Don – or at least I have found  it not to be most days.   Averages don't tell the full story though. You might get 4 one day and nothing over the next 3 days.   Another aspect to bear in mind, common to most east coast rivers, is that it flows in the wrong direction. What is this I hear you say?   When the winds are favourable – that is not cold - they tend to blow downstream, so for upstream work what you really want is light winds or none at all. This can  make things tricky for beginners.   Even if you don't catch much it's still a nice place to be, although if paying £20+  / day you might consider it  an expensive ramble.  I have to be honest  and say it would not be my fist choice if travelling a long distance.

Agree with you about Bob's book. It's  a seminal work. The best fishing book I have ever read.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #31 on: 31/10/2006 at 20:13 »
The book's good, but kissing Bobs' Butt like that is a bit desperate.
 :lol:
Alwyn  the only real factor will be the weather, an easterly wind will kill the river stone dead any time of the year.
But a really strong westerly with choppy waves brought my best day on the Don ever.
Always a risk, the weather.

I would tend to agree about the farmers thing, most of the ones i know have the trout fishing rights for the stretches through their land, and most don't fish either :z6
Lots of lovely water to choose from though, but for the experience you will get what you pay for.
Some of us don't mind :wink:

The river flow is pretty constant, although it does vary as any freestone river does, with rainfall.I don't think this is a factor, not like an American tailwater.Mind you perhaps there is an invisible Dam at Alford, might explain a few mysteries
 :lol:

Sandy

wildfisher

« Reply #32 on: 31/10/2006 at 20:55 »
Sandy, I have to  try to get back on Bob W's   good side after  callously  recommending  the Don to him last spring.  He, Bob Morton and Al Pyke went  a few times   and  they have  hardly spoken to me since.   :lol:

A couple of others from the wild fishing forum went too. All I can say is it's lucky for me   they all live down in the central belt and I don't meet them that often.  :grin:  

There was one close shave when I met one chap at Ardhuncart, luckily though he did not recognise me.  :z4

Irvine Ross

« Reply #33 on: 01/11/2006 at 08:29 »
Hey Fred

I said one fish per three trips was my result in a poor spring (2006). :shock:
Normally I do better. At a rough count I average between one and two fish per trip put the pattern is often a blank day then a three fish day.

Also I am talking about "my" water around Glenkindie which is well upstream of Alford. I know next to nothing about the middle and lower river.

Maybe Bob Wyatt just needs a good guide to the Don. Next time you see him, tell him we can put him in touch with a couple of good ghillies.  :grin:

Irvine

Hamish Young

« Reply #34 on: 01/11/2006 at 09:44 »
Quote from: "Hares Lug"

Maybe Bob Wyatt just needs a good guide to the Don. Next time you see him, tell him we can put him in touch with a couple of good ghillies.  :grin:

:lol:   :wink:

wildfisher

« Reply #35 on: 01/11/2006 at 11:01 »
Irvine, don't worry about the fish / trip stats mate, no ones counting!    :grin:  I'll pass on that tip to Bob, I'm sure he'll be grateful for it, although I seem to remember  they got a fish or two on the second trip.  :wink:  How does it fish just below  Glenkindie?  Some nice looking  water there, who does the tickets? I'm not worried  about it being unreliable.  I just live along the road so it's no big deal as  like you I am not travelling 100's of miles to get there.  :grin:

Irvine Ross

« Reply #36 on: 01/11/2006 at 18:01 »
Fred

Day tickets available from the shop at the garage in Glenkindie and the cost is quite reasonable. or at least it was this year.

Irvine

wildfisher

« Reply #37 on: 01/11/2006 at 18:56 »
Quote from: "Hares Lug"
Fred

Day tickets available from the shop at the garage in Glenkindie and the cost is quite reasonable. or at least it was this year.

Irvine

Irvine, thanks for the info. Where are the limits of the beat? I really like the look of the water  as you go over that old road  bridge just as you turn off the Muir of Fowlis / Towie road, about a mile or so from Glenkindie. Have crossed it so often but never fished it. The  river is getting smaller  up that way, more like the waters  I used to fish as a lad down in Angus. It would be grand to have a few blanks in new surroundings!   :z4  

I think that's one of the greatest things about the Don – fantastic fly water, one tempting run / pool after another. Nae fish not withstanding of course!  :z4

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com