Forum > Main Discussion Area

Loch Style - 3 Fly Cast

(1/3) > >>

Steven Kidd:
Hello,

I have been thinking about the '3 fly cast' , upon googling you find nothing unless you type in '3 fly rig',  :cry,  sad really.

However, what do we all do on a day at a new Loch we have never been to before for our three fly cast, when starting our day, say early season default set-up?

Dull overcast, point to bob i'm on - Black Pennell, Sooty Olive, Claret Bumble or a Claret Pearly Dabbler
Bright sunny Day - Black Pennell, Silver Invicta, Soldier Palmer..........I may change things up here with a Leven Spider on the point

I know local knowledge, location, wind, hatches etc all play a part on fly selection / size etc.  but what do you all do for a default cast?

Steven

James Laraway:
To be honest it is very rarely fish a 3 fly cast. I almost always stick to 2 flies. Far less potential for trouble.
Also, as its the start of the season I would not shy away from big flies and lures. Humoungous or something similar on the point and  something big and bushy on the dropper. Sizes 6 and 8 have proved successful for me early season. The trout are hungry and aggressive. Also don't go too light leader wise......
My favourite casts last year:
Goats toe on point and half hog hopper on dropper
Streamer (humoungous or similar) on the point and a big bumble on the dropper
CDC hopper on both

Hamish Young:
Been a while since I've considered this sort of thing, I tend to make up my three fly cast (as in choose the flies) when I'm looking at the water.
Will even change flies if I'm out in a boat if what I've tied on doesn't 'feel' quite right.

That said, I can pretty much guarantee the following will be selected as a starter for ten:

1. My Loch Ordie variant on the bob, which Allan didn't feature in FF&FT :wink
2. In the middle a Black Pennel or a Zulu
3. On the tail a shuggy, or something else equally vile. They work, end of   :cool:

H

Bob Mitchell:
Like at the start of the season to have a large dark fly on the tail. Nymphy thing on the middle and about a size 12 bushy thing on the bob. That way I have flies I can fish fast or slower. The most important bit to me is to stand well back from the waters edge and fish the shallows right into the edge.
Bob.

Allan Liddle:
Hedgehogs for lochs for me  :wink

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version