Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Trout spey - novel idea or fad?
« on: 17/02/2021 at 20:32 »
I'm aware there's been discussions previously regarding "trout spey" on the forum, but with the passage of time, has this developed into an established technique or is it seen as more of a fad imported from the US?

For example, on the lower Don there are plenty of wide, slow flowing pools where overgrown vegetation makes a traditional overhead cast tricky. Presumably a lightweight approach (#3 trout spey = #6 traditional line) to double handed spey casting could be a helpful tool in the armoury?

A quick google search shows rods available in the UK from Redington, Orvis and Sage, so the manufacturers must feel there's an evolving market in the UK for this tackle.

Is a Trout Spey rod just a lightweight switch rod, of which there is a far wider range to choose from? I haven't found any UK high street tackle shops which hold Trout Spey rods in stock, so any purchasing would have to be based on online reviews. Difficult to justify a £500 rod without at least seeing it in the flesh first...

Eddie Sinclair

Re: Trout spey - novel idea or fad?
« Reply #1 on: 17/02/2021 at 20:43 »
Andrew,

Have a word with Sandy he built me a five weight with two different extension handles. With the short one it is a loch style rod for boat fishing and with the long one it becomes a trout Spey AKA light switch. I have used it on the Dee for sea trout in low water and it is a delight to use.  So for less than the price you mention you can have two rods in one. Oh and the build quality is excellent.

If you do fancy this style of rod it is definitely worth a conversation with Sandy as well as looking at the imported finished products. I don’t use it all the time but if you want to Spey cast trout flies a good distance it is a worthwhile addition.

Eddie  :z18

Will Shaw

« Reply #2 on: 17/02/2021 at 21:12 »
I think it's a shame it's called "Trout Spey".

These are simply light two-handers.

I fished an 11ft 3wt a lot last year on a small river for salmon.  Depending on the line and the manufacturer a #3 Spey is a #6 or #7 heavy-ish trout line. My one (Orvis Clearwater) liked the #7 SLX.

I caught a fair few average trout on it, and it was good fun. If I was specifically targeting 1lb-ers with a two hander I'd think about a #2 wt though.

As a light salmon rod the 3wt was lovely for consistently chucking long leaders/polyleaders and biggish flies up to around 70-80ft with little effort. You can do the same with a #6 or #7 9ft single hander if I'm honest (and playing fish would be easier), but it would be more casting effort.

The casting is a delight though. I can cover a lot of water, a lot more delicately than with my #7 Switch. Another nice advantage is when you're dibbling a fly over riffly water, when you can easily use one hand and reach out a bit to control the fly.

Bottom line is, if you like Spey casting and swinging flies, then go for it. It's all about doing something you enjoy. If you have a hankering - get it bought!

Will

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 17/02/2021 at 21:39 »
I agree with Will  :z12

Much better described as 'Light Spey'  :z16

Would I buy one? - Yes ................ But I used to fish lighter Sea Trout DH rods like the Daiwa ones in the 80s/90s, so I'm probably sold on it already  :z17

Hamish Young

« Reply #4 on: 17/02/2021 at 21:47 »
100% with Will on the nomenclature and the use for the rods in the UK market.

The marketing as 'Trout Spey' is a colonial invention, light-line double handers is what they are and they are a delight.  I resist Spey in the terminology although, if I'm honest, the vast majority of double handers I exclusively use spey casts on.... so get over it Hamish :!

I elected not to buy because, at the moment, I have double handers from 11'9" to 16' and I can't quite justify the investment in another when I have a number of single handers from 9' to 11'3" and lots of lines that will cover off much of what a truly light double hander will might do.
That said, much of what I do with single handers on small rivers might be better served with a short, light double hander..... get behind me Satan :z13

Lets see what the season brings :!

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 17/02/2021 at 22:30 »
What about tactics:
Are Roll/Spey casts fun and useful for swinging wets?
Are Roll/Spey casts perhaps not ideal for dry fly fishing?

Will Shaw

« Reply #6 on: 17/02/2021 at 22:41 »
All the rolls and Speys are just perfect for swinging wets, as well as being just a lovely way of fishing.

Not so much for dries, but now and again they’ll get you out of a tight spot.

Not discussed too much over here though is long range indicator nymphing. I haven’t done it with a DH rod yet, but in some spots adopting similar tactics to those used on the Tongariro in NZ, could be deadly.

W.

Terry Coging

« Reply #7 on: 18/02/2021 at 10:33 »
I'm reading this topic with interest because I'm considering a double hander for reservoir bank fishing.  Maybe 11'6" with an SLX #6.  Although I am still strong enough (at 82) to cast a fair way with a s/h rod - a time will come......  Also the longer rod will help the finishing dibble close in.
I've been using a 15' d/h 3 weight from the boat for the past 3 years and really enjoyed it.  www.wafting.co.uk

Will Shaw

« Reply #8 on: 19/02/2021 at 08:00 »
Spot on! Nice quote.  :z16

James Laraway

« Reply #9 on: 19/02/2021 at 10:04 »
trout spey.....fad in my book.

Yes, it would be a great idea when you have very tightly confined areas for casting but a lot of the photos i see online from the US people are using wee double handers on rivers where there is no tree in sight ! I do get the feeling that there is a lot of " check me, I'm trout spey'ing "going on.

I thought the 'definition' of a switch rod was rod primarily for single hand use but had a butt extension so , if you needed to, you could simply 'switch' to spey casting. In my book the definition of a switch rod is not a double hander that you can occasionally use to single hand cast whilst hoping it doesn't damage your wrist in the process !

I rod that is < 10ft and can easily be cast single handed all day but has a double grip for when needed then fine - its a switch.

Once you get to 11ft, 12ft etc - im sorry but that is a double hander. :X1

Bob Mitchell

« Reply #10 on: 19/02/2021 at 11:07 »
Not knowing about a lot of different ways of fishing/casting I have just pottered along now for many years. On the lochs I usually roll cast and that covers the water as being a river fisher I am always moving. The 2 rods I only use now are my 15 ft. d/h size 9/10 and my 11 ft. 6/7 weight. Had fish recently up to 17 lbs on the trout rod and just a case of hanging on a bit longer.
Have a18  d/h rods and loads of trout rods but just stick to my favourites. Makes the fishing much simpler.
Bob.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #11 on: 19/02/2021 at 11:58 »
Nice quote Andrew ..... very true  :z16

James Laraway

« Reply #12 on: 22/02/2021 at 09:37 »
one i caught a few years back on a 9ft #6 switch rod on the don. The beat was mostly ok for overhead but having an extra handle came in handy a few times in the day

Kav Ring

« Reply #13 on: 28/04/2021 at 22:13 »
Hi I've just joined forum! I've been fly fishing about 18months and not yet in Scotland but hope too now we can travel
I don't know much about double hand casting but have read/heard a bit about 'trout spey' (for want of a better term) . Sorry if this is a complete novice question.  Is it just restricted to moving water really. I've started to take an interest in the upland Llyns/lakes in wales and read about 'cast and walk' (makes perfect sense) I I heard someone talking  about rollcasting with fairly aggressive WF line on single hand  rod and I was wondering if a light double hand would work as well and be useful fishing into wind etc.
I looking at a new  longer rod anyway but imagine a  double hand set up doesn't come cheap?
Thanks for any advice
Kav

James Laraway

« Reply #14 on: 29/04/2021 at 08:59 »
TBH Kav I would just stick with a single hander paired with a line like the SLX - which will allow you to overhead and roll cast without the need for a double hander....

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com