Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Steven Kidd

Re: River Don 2021
« Reply #60 on: 15/05/2021 at 21:34 »
We'll need to meet up for a day on the Don soon Mike, :-)

I've had an emotional two days........pure torment actually......tempted three very good fish to the fly, hooked, played and eventually lost...... *smiley-unhappy*......but I now where they live!! :z4

Had a good wee day today fishing a new stretch of water, funny kind of day where I was, the hatches were very sporadic and short spells of 10-15mins,  I had great fun fishing my usual wee Clyde Styles, note the front row.....(tied by Peter McCallum no less).......pity to get them wet to be honest!

Anyhoo, landed a good few brownies over two days, great sport, I love the colours on the wee fella, :-)

Steven

Mike Barrio

« Reply #61 on: 15/05/2021 at 21:47 »
Great stuff Steven  :z16

What size Clyde Style flies?

I was dropping fish today as well  :z8

Steven Kidd

« Reply #62 on: 15/05/2021 at 21:55 »
Hi Mike,

They're all size 14s, pretty much my go to size, :-)

There is one particular trout that has haunted my dreams for all last week.......and will be doing the same next week!!

Steven

Mike Barrio

« Reply #63 on: 15/05/2021 at 22:01 »
It's good to have dreams  *smiley-smile*

14s have usually done best for me too.

Stevie Rennie

« Reply #64 on: 22/05/2021 at 21:06 »
Hi Mike,

They're all size 14s, pretty much my go to size, :-)

There is one particular trout that has haunted my dreams for all last week.......and will be doing the same next week!!

Steven

Don’t give up on that dream Steve, I had the same fish haunting me from last season and tried countless times to get it. The problem was there’s no upstream approach, so countless stealthy downstream attempts were made, fading light, darkness, rain cover the lot, wet, dry, nymph & streamer, with only one cautious pull on a streamer to show for it.

Out trying for a salmon earlier this week the conditions just before the recent spate were in my favour, tea tinged water, & fired up fish.
First cast was perfect and swung into his last known location and on retrieve I felt a hit and thought aaaargghhh that was my chance. Then second cast swung in to the exact same spot and on retrieve saw an almighty bow wave follow and a very firm grab.

5 minutes later a 5lb bar of gold was admired and having never left the water, safely returned to his lair to contemplate.

My only regret is that it was on a small single hooked silver spoon while out salmon fishing and he unfortunately shares the spot where I’ve had my biggest salmon.
I hadn’t succeeded previously with the fly and stealthy approaches.

Knowing this is a fly related forum and that’s the main reason I’m here but don’t want to offend anyone by posting a fish that my ever  improving flyfishing skills didn’t  deserve.

It leaves me with a question of have you guys experienced one that just won’t take your fly based offerings?

Steven Kidd

« Reply #65 on: 22/05/2021 at 21:47 »
Steve,

Ah, well....see this particular trout has taken my fly offerings twice........but he's a wiley old fox and threw the hook the first time and snapped, (or bit) the line clean of at the fly the second time.....

We'll see if he is still where I left him after the river returns to condition.

Steven

Stevie Rennie

« Reply #66 on: 22/05/2021 at 21:59 »
 *smiley-wink*
Sounds like you’ve got his number, good luck  :z16

It’ll bother me that I never got mine on the fly but feel that my skills don’t quite match my quarry yet.

Something to strive for  :)

Mike Barrio

« Reply #67 on: 31/05/2021 at 10:33 »
Out for a couple of evening hours for the first time this season last night, plenty of fly life and a few fish rising  >)

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #68 on: 13/06/2021 at 10:35 »
well after the hiatus due to the Rain and then the river level, i finally managed a few evening out this week

Yellow mays, Uprights and their spinners seem to be quite prolific, but the Sedges seem to be the focus for the fish.
An early evening riser proved to be an unusual colour for a Don fish, with strong orange fins and a very dark look.

A late afternoon fish proved to be more usual but they were few and far between during the day, if you were searching with dries

however it was the late evenings when they started to feed, a fairly tight window of 1015-1130pm depending on when the wind dropped. and the sedge could scuttle across the surface. the week turned into a series of lost fish for me, but some very hard fighting strong smaller ones kept me entertained, with one slightly better exception

last night though, the fishing gods were through with taking the Piss and despite getting snapped twice, we found a line of good fish all tucked up, under a far bank that were sipping the sedges as they past, every fish was bigger than the rise suggested and smaller than what the ensuing fight promised. But some superb sport was had to Size 14 Dry sedges.

So now i feel like my Mojo is back, just in time for work tomorrow :z6

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #69 on: 13/06/2021 at 10:43 »
Great stuff Sandy, I had a feeling it might pick up last night, as the wind dropped earlier ... and it just felt right  :z16

Cheers
Mike

Steven Kidd

« Reply #70 on: 13/06/2021 at 20:08 »
Lovely Sandy, :-)

I just hope i'm allowed out that late this week, :-)

Steven

Steven Kidd

« Reply #71 on: 16/06/2021 at 11:47 »
Nice wee outing last night after work .

A good mixed hatch and the sedges arrived at about 2200, didn't last long though.  Caught a nice couple trout to the 3/4lb mark, nothing big showing where i was :z8, but great and very satisfying to have consistently caught fish on another Clyde pattern.

The Marled Corncrake, stated in John Reids book.....'Associated with June evenings and well into July'....its true!,

Apologies no pictures, my phone went in the drink last week.....waiting on a replacement.

Steven

Mike Barrio

« Reply #72 on: 16/06/2021 at 15:48 »
Great stuff Steven  :z16
I'll maybe give some Clyde style flies a swim next time I'm out .....................

Gavin Stevenson

« Reply #73 on: 16/06/2021 at 16:55 »
Nice wee outing last night after work .

A good mixed hatch and the sedges arrived at about 2200, didn't last long though.  Caught a nice couple trout to the 3/4lb mark, nothing big showing where i was :z8, but great and very satisfying to have consistently caught fish on another Clyde pattern.
The Marled Corncrake, stated in John Reids book.....'Associated with June evenings and well into July'....its true!,

Apologies no pictures, my phone went in the drink last week.....waiting on a replacement.
Steven
Steven, I knew John Reid very well when I lived down south, was member of a fly tying club he set up. Many happy memories and learned a lot from him. 

Steven Kidd

« Reply #74 on: 16/06/2021 at 20:46 »
Gavin,

Great stuff, i have become fascinated by the history and the style of these wee flees.

We are all familiar with the North Country Spider, etc, however far less is said about the Clyde Style.

Steven

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com