Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Re: River Don 2021
« Reply #90 on: 30/06/2021 at 09:11 »
Great stuff Stevie  >)

Yes, last night was a totally different evening!

Cheers
Mike

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #91 on: 30/06/2021 at 11:32 »
Brilliant stuff Stevie :z16

And yes last night was a reality check, the change in temp, and air pressure had a lot to answer for.  Keeps it all real .

Sandy

Duncan McRae

« Reply #92 on: 30/06/2021 at 18:57 »
A selection of crackers there Stevie.

Duncan

Stevie Rennie

« Reply #93 on: 01/07/2021 at 15:34 »
Thanks chaps,  :z16

Normality has returned but as mentioned, it keeps it real.

Few caught on a greenwells glory wet last night while waiting on sedges that never came.

Measured the water temp at 17 degrees, needing a good top up to cool & freshen things up.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #94 on: 01/07/2021 at 15:48 »
Nice buttery fish  *smiley-smile*

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #95 on: 09/07/2021 at 09:50 »
Been a funny week with the changeable weather.
The fish seem to have been off kilter and only the smaller ones showing
But I have managed a few most evenings up to around this stamp

Which are good fun, in hard fighting summer conditions on light gear.
Yesterday seemed to stabilise again and I had a couple to the streamer in the afternoon but the evening rise was just excellent and I spent the evening in great company watching and waiting and it paid off with a great session and some lovely fish topped off with this one

This stable front seems to be here for a couple of days so fingers crossed we get a couple more good evenings before the rain comes back

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #96 on: 09/07/2021 at 11:40 »
Great stuff Sandy  :z16

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #97 on: 11/07/2021 at 09:48 »
Air temp seems to be the key at the moment

I went out friday night and it was noticeably coler than thursday. A lot less decent fish showing and those that did were not consistent.

Saturday however, was a different ball game, much warmer and had that mugginess that preceeds some rain (which it did at 11pm)
i went out early to try a streamer and see if i could induce some aggression, it worked, but not quite the way i wanted  *smiley-funny*
Never fails to amaze me how aggresive and greedy these little predators can be

That was the only action the streamer saw, so it was back to waiting for the rise to start, which it did around half 10. The fish werent so keen to take the 14 Sedge and after a while i had Marbled sedges landing on me, so i switched up to the 12 and started to get some attention. it was good fun and i was rewarded with another bonny fish, in very striking colours with lovely big spots.

I missed an even better one, twice, not sure if it was drag or fly size, but i know where he is, so next weekend............................ *smiley-wink*

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #98 on: 12/07/2021 at 13:27 »
Great stuff Sandy, put in the hours - catch the fish  :z14

Stevie Rennie

« Reply #99 on: 13/07/2021 at 01:44 »
Some crackers there Sandy, hoping for a couple this week myself.

Interesting looking streamer the wee fella took, is it a named fly or your own creation?

Steven Kidd

« Reply #100 on: 13/07/2021 at 11:07 »
Hello,

I had a lovely evening last night, out with a plan to target Sea Trout.  I tied up a fly from the 'Gloaming' section of Robert C. Sharps Clyde Style book called the Magpie Tail.

From years ago, I also remember having success with a Cinnamon Gold during sedge hatches, so with that in mind, a size 14 went on the dropper.  I then lazily fished down and across for a change.

A very sparse hatch of sedge appeared at 2250, during this I caught a few of good wee half pound brown trout, including a double hook up which was entertaining, :-).........saw two Sea Trout splashing about.....

Then at 2320, I connected with my quarry......a cracker of a 2lb SeaTrout which gave a great account of itself, (great on a glass rod), landed and safely returned.  Very satisfying to execute a plan.... ;-)

No fish photos I'm afraid......but I do have a picture of the Magpie Tail.

Steven

Mike Barrio

« Reply #101 on: 13/07/2021 at 11:22 »
Great stuff Steven ..... and a nice looking fly  *smiley-smile*

Cheers
Mike

Steven Kidd

« Reply #102 on: 13/07/2021 at 11:29 »
Mike,

Cheers Mike, night fishing is not my favourite thing, I hate Bats you see.....

On the plus side, on the way home I seen a  Pine Marten, good time to be out in the countryside.

Steven

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #103 on: 13/07/2021 at 14:59 »
Nice stuff Mr Kidd :z16

Stevie, the streamer in the fishes mouth is a Martins Minnow. Probably the best streamer I use on the river :z16

Sandy

Steven Kidd

« Reply #104 on: 13/07/2021 at 16:07 »
Sandy,

I have a thought to try some streamers this year, out again Friday night so might give them a blast.

P.S. The Dusty 6wt is just ace!

Steven :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com