Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Steven Kidd

River Don Brown Trout Beats
« on: 31/01/2008 at 12:36 »
Hi,

I'm looking for some advice as to which beat you would recommend for a newcomer to fishing the Don for Brown Trout.....I'm looking at purchasing a season ticket for either Inverurie or Kintore... :?....what would be your recommendations?....

Hamish Young

Re: River Don Brown Trout Beats
« Reply #1 on: 31/01/2008 at 13:20 »
Aberdeenshire council season (roving) ticket scheme is a good choice IMHO :z16

http://www.aberdeenshire.gov.uk/parks/fishing/fishing_season_permits.asp

Duncan McRae

« Reply #2 on: 31/01/2008 at 14:11 »
Hi Skidd

Hamish is correct.I would also go for the roving ticket.
Given good weather and a settled water i would say both Inverurie and Kintore are second to none for dry fly fishing.There can be some tremendous evening rises during the summer months.Last year the trout kept surface feeding right through September which is unusual.
The alford beats are very scenic and have some lovely streams.Well worth a visit.

Duncan

Steven Kidd

« Reply #3 on: 31/01/2008 at 15:02 »
Thanks guy's,

Great advice as always, I'm going to get myself the rover I think.....but just noticed it was half price if you stuck to one beat for the year.....anyway i'd probably get bored at that......... yeah rover it is.

Cheers,

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #4 on: 31/01/2008 at 17:37 »
Skidd

The rover is great if you are going to use it :z16
If you are to stick to one beat for trout, i'd fish Inverurie :z16
Its the better of the 3 council waters, some lovely bits for fishing and some nice trout too.
with a good sprinkle of the monsters everyone regails :wink
There is enough water not to get bored over a season, especially if you explore the Urie :wink doesn't suit everyone though :roll

Sandy

Iain Goolager

« Reply #5 on: 31/01/2008 at 21:03 »
Hi Skidd,

I've bought the roving ticket for the last few seasons and it's an absolute hit. Four really nice beats with lots of water in which to fish for brownies. I typically fish Kintore because its nearer home and my mate prefers it (don't get me wrong it is a very good stretch in it's own right) but I had a walk along the full length of the Inverurie beat not so long ago and it truly has all the characteristics of a good trout fly water - I'll be spending more time there this season.

Alford has two great beats that hold good memories for me (caught my largest Don Brownie there) but, although its not exactly the other side of the world, it's hard for me to drive past Kintore & Inverurie - lazy boy!

The real bonus is that you have the flexibility to fish when the conditions suit you, whether its only fishing the first few hours of daylight, catching a rise, or fishing the last hour on a summers evening when the big boys seem to come out to play, you are still getting value for money.

As for the Brownies themselves, I can only speak for my own catches and I find that 1/2lb trout are reasonably common (and I'm happy to catch these all season), 3/4lb trout are not uncommon, 1lb - 2lb trout make an appearance now and again with the odd 'specimen' popping up to give you a season to remember.

Hope this helps

Iain

Graham Allan

« Reply #6 on: 03/02/2008 at 23:26 »
Hi Skidd .Thanks for starting this thread .Im going to get alot more time off work this year and had my mind set on a ticket for the ugie Now im not sure what to do The rover ticket looks great distince is the only bugger with the don .The ugie is 2 minets from my door.This is going to screw my head up now :z4.Pity u cant trot a worm down the don in a spate I get a reel buzz taking a salmon or 2 from under the bank.Oh well pitty I cant afford both .that would sort It out. ??? Graham

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com