Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

John McKenzie

Mouth of the Don
« on: 04/01/2021 at 13:48 »
Hi just been looking at the beat maps for the Don and see it is both banks more or less from Tesco to the mouth of the Don
My question is does anyone fish the mouth as i never see anyone in that area when passing over the bridge

Ben Crichton

Re: Mouth of the Don
« Reply #1 on: 10/01/2021 at 08:56 »
Hello again John,

You used to get a lot of people fishing the mouth for flat fish with bait in summer. As for "proper" fishermen I used to see a man just below the bridge in an evening but not for a long time. Me and my dad sometimes fish the island by wading across at low tide can be productive from time to time.

John McKenzie

« Reply #2 on: 13/01/2021 at 18:58 »
hi Ben cheers for that, yes i remember taking the orange string with the anchor on it catching flatties and i do remember seeing a guy fishing the south back near where the bird hide is or was happy days lol.
while i am on i have my 12ft salmon and 9ft spinning rod and i have a 9ft#7 trout rod, but looking to get myself a new 10ft for more nymph fishing top stick type of nymphing just your normal leader tippet and 1 or 2 nymphs type of fishing , question is what weight looking to get #3 #4 or #5   5 being least likely any thoughts on this as you did say you like the trout fishing.
take care

Ben Crichton

« Reply #3 on: 16/01/2021 at 08:20 »
Hi John,

Personally I'd just use a trout rod as it's more likely to get a run of finnock. Two hours after low tide is usually the perfect time to coax a few. Heard rumours of sea bass being caught but never seen it happen myself!

Ben

John McKenzie

« Reply #4 on: 18/01/2021 at 20:12 »
Hi Ben yes sounds an easier way to fish more relaxing than the double hander, never fished below Tesco Bridge so gonna give that a go this year, fees paid ready to go :) take care

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com