Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Swinging Wet Flies
« on: 29/12/2020 at 20:55 »
I tend to fish dry fly most of the time nowadays, but this can result in a lot of walking the banks and simply observing  :z4

I fished a late season session swinging wets and had forgotten just how much fun and relaxed this was. Maybe I'll spend more time fishing wets this year  :z17

I also really enjoyed roll casting that day, something that doesn't really work well with dry flies as they tend to get swamped.

Eddie Sinclair

Re: Swinging Wet Flies
« Reply #1 on: 29/12/2020 at 21:25 »
Mike,

Did you catch anything swinging wets?

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 29/12/2020 at 22:45 »
Yes Eddie :z16 ...... on a day that I wouldn't have caught anything on the dry.
Playing with angles, slack and drift to keep things interesting , must confess that I'd forgotten how well it works.

Bob Mitchell

« Reply #3 on: 30/12/2020 at 09:15 »
As I get older I enjoy just being on the river banks. Like just throwing flees out, hoping for the best and watching what is going on round me. Had a friend out a few years ago who's highlight of the year was a kingfisher landing on his rod.
Bob.

Eddie Sinclair

Re: Swinging Wet Flies New
« Reply #4 on: 30/12/2020 at 12:46 »
Yes Eddie :z16 ...... on a day that I wouldn't have caught anything on the dry.
Playing with angles, slack and drift to keep things interesting , must confess that I'd forgotten how well it works.
Sounds good Mike, it’s something I have not done for a long time.

Eddie :z18

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #5 on: 30/12/2020 at 17:38 »
Swinging wets can be productive

:z4 :z4 :z4

Sandy

Mike Barrio

Re: Swinging Wet Flies New
« Reply #6 on: 30/12/2020 at 17:42 »
That's a big fly Sandy, but loving the natural look  :z4  :z4  :z4

Jeff Donovan

« Reply #7 on: 02/01/2021 at 02:23 »
Works well, not only for trout but their sea run  cousins & the salmon too.

Hamish Young

« Reply #8 on: 02/01/2021 at 10:50 »

And there I was thinking the flies I fished with are too big ;) Like to give them a mouthful  :z16

Steven Kidd

« Reply #9 on: 02/01/2021 at 20:31 »
I have that very DVD in my collection from years ago, I really must watch it, that and 'Casts that Catch Fish'

The methods such as 'across' and the 'elevator' are what I always do when prospecting where there are no obvious rising fish, wee soft hackle spiders such as Stewarts black and gold, or Snipe and Purple, Waterhen Bloa, in faster water I put a PTN on the point to keep things down if needed.

Your right Mike, walking downstream is much more relaxing than battling upstream, especially if prospecting.....(different story if targeting fish though) :z16

Cannot wait until spring!

Chris Connolly

« Reply #10 on: 10/01/2021 at 11:14 »
I have to confess I cheat a tad when Fishing the wet and the dries.
When fishing the wets I put a wee goldhead flashback nymph on the point. Just has the flees a wee tad deeper and gets a bit of action.
When Fishing the dries I like a deerhair sedge in a wee size but unlike the traditional dry I fish it right round the trout love it skating.
Works for me !!

Mike Barrio

« Reply #11 on: 10/01/2021 at 11:26 »
Sometimes the skating Sedge is the only thing that will attract a fish Chris  :z16

Chris Connolly

« Reply #12 on: 10/01/2021 at 14:54 »
What leader material does everyone use for fishing the wets and how long do you make your cast and what's your dropper length.
Just want to make a wee comparison

Steven Kidd

« Reply #13 on: 10/01/2021 at 17:04 »
Chris,

I personally like Mono  as opposed to Fluorocarbon on the river, currently Stroft stuff i am using, its very forgiving, although does need a tucked blood knot at the flee, :-)

Leader length and droppers etc, vary on the circumstance, but I do like a shorter dropper that can accommodate one fly change when starting the day, shorter just helps avoid tangles etc.

Thats me anyway, everyone will have their own way, :-)

Steven

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com