Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

James Orme

Euronymph blank choice
« on: 27/12/2020 at 12:50 »
Any experience with a couple of the Euronymph  blanks available from guidesnblanks please?
Specifically the Evoke 10ft 2/3 wt and the unbranded 10ft 2wt nano helix in the sale section?
Thanks

Sandy Nelson

Re: Euronymph blank choice
« Reply #1 on: 28/12/2020 at 09:17 »
Sorry James

I’ve no specific experience of either blank. I think the Nano helix blanks are the same as the ones that you can get from Taniwha and they make into nice rods. But I don’t know for certain. Mark is closed until 11th of Jan but I’m pretty sure his blanks are less  :wink

Sandy

James Orme

« Reply #2 on: 28/12/2020 at 09:59 »
Thanks Sandy. The nano helix is £84.50 (slightly less than the taniwha price) and the Evoke is £95.40. I need some other odds and ends from guidesnblanks so any postage costs will be spread across those as well.
But some of the downlocking taniwha reel seats look very tempting...........

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 17/02/2021 at 13:53 »
A little late to the discussion, but I have the 2 weight Nano Helix rod.

I love it! It is a really nice rod to use and I have had fish to around 4lbs on it with little problem.

I made it for Bugging for Grayling when the rivers are low and clear and the flies scaled down a bit,  but it now comes trout  fishing with me more often than not.

If you are planning on using heavy jigs and 3 to3.5mm tungsten beads, then look at the 4 weight, but for French nymphing,  2mm beads and clear water, it is lovely.

James Orme

« Reply #4 on: 25/08/2021 at 10:53 »
I went for the unbranded nano helix 10ft 2wt from guidesnblanks, very pleased with it. I've limited exposure to other 10ft 2wt rods but it feels light, very sensitive and a joy to use when playing fish.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 01/09/2021 at 08:36 »
I went for the unbranded nano helix 10ft 2wt from guidesnblanks, very pleased with it. I've limited exposure to other 10ft 2wt rods but it feels light, very sensitive and a joy to use when playing fish.

I have had Brownies to jut over 3lb on mine, from a fast, run, and it coped well. It is lovely for pinging out bugs. It is a Taniwha Rodworks blank as Sandy suggested.

James Orme

« Reply #6 on: 19/10/2023 at 15:57 »
Just a brief update on this rod. I somehow managed to lose the top 2 sections into the river whilst I was retrieving a fly from a tree, I still (1+ year later) can't quite understand how it happened. I built another on the same blank but fitted a carbon fibre handle which has increased the sensitivity.
Additionally I have built a 10ft 5wt from the same nanohelix range at guidesnblanks which is equally fun to fish with and to complete the line-up a 10ft 7wt nanohelix blank from Taniwha. The latter rod is the only one of the three that I'm not entirely positive about, I don't think I've yet found the right balance of rod/reel/line to make it as enjoyable to use.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com