Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Keith Potter

Easier first build?
« on: 19/01/2024 at 17:58 »
 So been thinking it’s about time I look to build myself a rod. Will be my first rod build and really just another project to keep me busy in the shed over the close season.

I only fish hill lochs mostly involving a good walking (3-4 hrs walking each way) so need something which is easy to carry. Currently use a 4 piece 9ft 5w but considering building one of these travel rods which are 6 piece. Are travel rods harder to build than say a 3 piece or is it just same principle as any other road?

I’m not precious about my rods and they end up chucked about so need something pretty sturdy and will build a good rod tube aswell.

Sandy Nelson

Re: Easier first build?
« Reply #1 on: 19/01/2024 at 21:38 »
The number of sections doesn’t make  any real difference  Keith.
You can attach a pair together and if effectively becomes a 3pc as far as turning it. Depends what facilities you have.
I have a 6pc on the go at the moment for someone and the only real extra involved is the fact you have 5 ferrule wraps to do instead of 3.
Some nice nice multi piece blanks out there too. 👍
Have fun 🍻

Keith Potter

Re: Easier first build?
« Reply #2 on: 26/01/2024 at 16:50 »
Hi sandy that’s just as I thought. Going to have a look at some of the 6pc blanks out there and see what I can find. Doesn’t need to be fancy as it’s just for hill loch fishing.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com