Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Plans for 2021?
« on: 07/12/2020 at 18:45 »

This has been a tough year for me in more ways than one and I need something to look forward to :z17

I'm busy dreaming about where I'm going to go fishing next year, first outing will be on the Don in Inverurie of course :z16

Are you dreaming/planning too? Anything special?

Cheers
Mike

James Laraway

Re: Plans for 2021?
« Reply #1 on: 07/12/2020 at 20:13 »
I'd like to fish the limestone lochs 'up north' as I've never fished up that way.

I'm also going to be back on the Nairn after sea trout and salmon 👍. I've had a year or two off chasing silver so looking forward to getting back to it.

Oh and catching a Pollock!

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #2 on: 07/12/2020 at 21:34 »
The Dee in Feb and March, the North Esk in March for springers then the Don for trout, loch Earn trolling for Ferox and the usual jaunts to the limestone lochs. The Dee again in September. This is already organised but there are plenty other places in Scotland that I will try and fit in between the above annual days. I am sure that I will be fishing around the area in your photo as well Mike as it has been a while since I visited those lochs.

Now that I am back home I have a lot of catching up to do in familiar places and I am looking forward to making the most of 2021.

Eddie  :z18

Allan Liddle

« Reply #3 on: 07/12/2020 at 22:58 »
Looking forward to 2021 and already booked for two weeks in Orkney which will be the first time i've been up as long.
Loads of other trips and places to check out on the horizon as well as the usual old haunts to get back to.

We've certainly got some quality fishing around.  :z16

Bob Mitchell

« Reply #4 on: 08/12/2020 at 09:37 »
Just be glad to get out on the banks again. Not that fussy were as I have plenty of fishing. loch and river.
One does not see ones years going past but problems with the hands means not many more so must make the most of it.
Love the photo of the gent at the head of this thread.
Bob.

Steven Kidd

« Reply #5 on: 08/12/2020 at 21:42 »
A great thing to be dreaming about this time of year.......i've been thinking the same since the season closed for trout this year.....

A couple of things on the list for me,

1.  Fish the Caithness Lochs, Watten, Toftingall etc.  not been up that way for years
2.  Do as much drifting boat Loch fishing as I can, I fancy Leven obviously but also Rannoch and the Earn
3.  As well as fish the Don most regularly, I also fancy exploring some urban streams, burns and some unassuming places for brown trout just to see if they are there, :-)

I caught my first ever fish which was a brown trout on a wee burn called the Midhope a tributary to the River Forth when i was 4 years old......i might go back and explore there with a wee fibreglass fly rod, :-)

Keep dreaming,  :z16
Steven

Ben Crichton

« Reply #6 on: 09/12/2020 at 16:38 »
Nothing set in stone but hopefully another trip to Assynt. More remote the better! Can't wait till my son is old enough to come!

Hamish Young

« Reply #7 on: 09/12/2020 at 19:19 »
2021 will bring about my 50th birthday, so with input from co-conspirators some serious thought has gone into what a trip may look like, where it might, what restrictions may yet be on us and - more importantly - what I can actually afford  :wink
I hope to add to the really good Salmon season I had in 2020.
 But for 2021, possibly with my 'birthday trip' I must have a weeks fishing 'somewhere in the UK' where I can possibly enjoy more Trout fishing.... except for bait fishing with junior I didn't actually go Trout fishing at all in 2020  :shock
Oh sure I could have gone trout fishing, but due to COVID the opportunities to fish places for Salmon normally inaccessible to me were just far too good to pass up :!

Other itches I intend to scratch:
1.  Have a few days on the Orkney Islands, friend of mine lives there and she is a keen fisher. So adventures to be had.
2.  Finally get 'home' to Loch Shiel for a few day trips, or a few days and catch in some other waters.
3.  Introduce my lad to a fly rod, he'll be 7 in May 2021 so about time we started looking at fly rods. If he wants.
4.  Get a few days in on some rivers I've not fished or not fished seriously - so North Esk on the list and so is the Spey.

That's probably enough to be going on with :z16

H

Martin Tutt

« Reply #8 on: 13/12/2020 at 18:05 »
Would like to take a trip up to North Uist.  A cottage on the bank of Loch Hosta looks good.  Any tips and info would be appreciated?

Hamish Young

« Reply #9 on: 13/12/2020 at 19:28 »
Would like to take a trip up to North Uist. A cottage on the bank of Loch Hosta looks good. Any tips and info would be appreciated
Went there with Euan for his 50th, fantastic spot but we had it a 'wee bit nippy' for some of our stay which made sport sporadic.
Nevertheless, bonnie, bonnie spot.....

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #10 on: 13/12/2020 at 19:37 »
Martin,

I have fished Hosta a number of times and the quality of the fish is outstanding. If you plan on Hosta don’t forget to add Eival to your plan, only a short easy walk from Hosta and just as good. The only other advice I would give is make sure you have plenty of claret bumbles with you. Last time I was there that’s what they wanted, I moved the position on the cast and it mattered not a jot the fish would take the bumble wherever it was on the cast. I got to the point of fishing a team of claret bumbles.

Eddie :z18

Euan Innes

« Reply #11 on: 14/12/2020 at 10:47 »
I agree with Eddie and Hamish. Hosta is good but I had better luck on Eival, especially casting over to the reed bed from the east side to the west in the top arm.

As for the rest of the year, it should go like this.
March on Balmakewan for springers, probably the Dee too, somewhere.
Back on Balmakewan in September.
The bit in the middle depends on Hamish and some ghillie mates up north.
I feel another visit to Glen Tanar on the Dee this summer and hopefully the trout loch will open up again.
I also feel the need to get back to the Findhorn when there is water as Hamish and I have unfinished business in there.
Other than that I will just have to wait and see what the effect of draconian lockdowns will have on travel. It might work out that nobody from the south can get here and I get invited to Balmakewan every week! :z4 :z4 :z4
It will just be one of those years of opportunity fishing, take it when you can get it.

Euan

Terry Coging

« Reply #12 on: 17/01/2021 at 18:49 »
The three planned trips to the Assynt region did not materialise. Two due to Covid and one because my fishing buddy fell off a roof. So I am chomping on the bit to get up there asap.  It's on my mind all the time. In fact I am currently rowing there. I use the Concept 2 indoor rowing machine  and started the journey on Jan 1st. 400k completed so far and just  300k or so to go.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #13 on: 17/01/2021 at 21:49 »
Great stuff Terry ..... keep it up  :z14

Gavin Stevenson

« Reply #14 on: 18/01/2021 at 08:51 »
I got myself a campervan last year but Covid disrupted plans, finger crossed will acheive
- trip to Isle of lewis
- trip up to Durness limestone lochs
- River Annan for trout
- River Deveron for trout
Autumn time hope to get done to River Nith to target Grayling 

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com