Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Ben Crichton

Kids rod
« on: 29/11/2020 at 09:40 »
Hi folks,

Can anyone recommend a spinning rod and reel for kids.  Or and advise how people introduced their kids into fishing. I've been buying my son bits and Bob's since he was born so he would have some tackle for when hes older, and wanted to get him a rod this year. Something he can ask to see and get excited about. Was thinking Shakespeare?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Ben

Eddie Sinclair

Re: Kids rod
« Reply #1 on: 29/11/2020 at 10:43 »
Ben,

For kids and for some light fun for adults I bought a couple of LRF outfits. These are not expensive and Shakespeare do these. I have used them with light spinners and soft plastic lures for trout down at the loch beside our caravan with our grandkids. These outfits are great for kids and even small fish put up a fight on them. The small Shakespeare reels are decent quality for very little money. We have used these for a couple of years now with no issue.

Eddie  :z18

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #2 on: 29/11/2020 at 11:13 »
Ben,

Forgot to say. When our kids were small we started them out fishing for flatties at the mouth of the don and also bait fishing for whatever would come along at Stonehaven harbour. This type of fishing pretty much guaranteed that they would catch something and kept them interested. My son Steven who is on the forum obviously caught the big and is now a fly fisher and fly Tyer and has been taking his kids fishing all over the place. It is great to start them young.

James Laraway

« Reply #3 on: 30/11/2020 at 15:15 »
Hi Ben, I bought myself one of the Shakespeare Agility skinny rods, up to 15g casting weight and 4pc. Great bit of kit. I use it for drop shot and plastic lures for perch and small pike. Landed trout up to about 10lbs on it too...so it has backbone

Jim Eddie

« Reply #4 on: 02/12/2020 at 16:59 »

Ben Crichton

« Reply #5 on: 09/12/2020 at 16:36 »
Cheers for the replies folks, will have a look and let you know what I pick!

Mike Barrio

« Reply #6 on: 07/01/2021 at 17:39 »
How did you get on with this Ben, did you find something suitable?

Cheers
Mike

Ben Crichton

« Reply #7 on: 10/01/2021 at 08:07 »
Hi Mike,

I went for a Shakespeare Onmi spin rod in the end. A reel to match for his birthday. He's more interested in his avengers dolls at the moment though😂

Mike Barrio

« Reply #8 on: 10/01/2021 at 12:06 »
Great stuff Ben  :z16

I got something similar for my boys when they were young, I've still got it somewhere, along with their first fly rod  :cool:

Cheers
Mike

James Orme

« Reply #9 on: 10/01/2021 at 17:01 »
I was in a similar position last summer and I went for a cheap 8ft Fladen 2 piece spinning rod. I have subsequently bought a 4 piece Abu diplomat - so much more easier with it in the car when travelling as a family.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com