Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Colin Mckinnon

Re: Fly Tying newbie
« Reply #15 on: 18/12/2020 at 08:06 »
Hi Cameron. I popped into Somers  for a quick chat with the guys and was there for  over an hour talking all things fishy . Really helpful chaps. They have everything I could need to get me started so its Somers vouchers ahoy for Christmas to keep it local and be glued to the Davey McPhail masterclass vids in2021  :z18

John McKenzie

« Reply #16 on: 29/12/2020 at 09:48 »
hope you got lots of vouchers from Santa lol, just to add to everyone's comments i looked online like you for ages and decided on one went to sommers and it was a bit more expensive and said to the guys look i would rather buy it local if possible so they matched the price IF YOU DON'T ASK YOU DON'T GET.
 I bought the STONFO ELITE :)

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #17 on: 30/12/2020 at 23:37 »
John,

I’ve got the Stonfo transformer and like you I got a deal at SOMERS, great vice and we need to keep our local shop going.

I am sure you will love the stonfo, I have been tying for over four decades and have used all sorts of vices and the stonfo is fantastic.

Eddie

John McKenzie

« Reply #18 on: 07/01/2021 at 19:31 »
Hi Eddie, yes i pondered over what vise for what seemed like weeks on line and kept going back to the stonfo, it's a great bit of kit and glad i bought it. And yes i have bought a few things from Somers that were cheaper online and matched it no probs.
I could buy all my tying bits and bobs online too, but then how are our local shops gonna stay open if we bought everything online and it's good to just shop with your eyes when in shop, it's like food shopping you always guy more that you went in for lol.
take care

john

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #19 on: 09/01/2021 at 23:07 »
John, I am glad you like the Stonfo. And it is good to keep a local shop going so we can at least browse around and play with stuff before we buy. This needs to be kept up.

As I said previously I have been tying for a long time and also did it on a semi pro business style when I was younger and the kids were small to pay for my fishing tackle. I tied for a shop that is no longer with us locally and for a shop in Utah where I swapped flies for genetic capes from the US . I have used all sorts of tools over the the last 49 plus decades but the Stonfo does all that I would want from a vice. Enjoy.

Eddie :z18

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com