Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Colin Mckinnon

Fly Tying newbie
« on: 23/11/2020 at 16:02 »
Hi folks. Well its into the long dark nights again and im looking to give some fly tying a go.
 Im looking to tie fly,s for the Don troot initially , as i also plan to join the ADAA in the new year . So looking for advise on some starter kit . Internet is a mine field and variable quality by looks of things .
Any help /  advise/ pointers  would be gratefully received  :z14

Eddie Sinclair

Re: Fly Tying newbie
« Reply #1 on: 23/11/2020 at 18:01 »
Colin,

Personally I would not go for one of the starter kits. You will get a load of stuff of questionable quality and stuff you may not need or use. There are many different vices out there and a lot depends on budget and what you plan on tying. I would get a decent vice and scissors and start from there. I am sure that all of us on here who have been tying for many years could give you the pros and cons of different options, what sort of price do you have in mind for the vice?

Eddie

Duncan Inglis

« Reply #2 on: 23/11/2020 at 21:34 »
Good advice Eddie.  Many years ago I started with such a kit, won it in a raffle. While it got me started within less than a year I was buying replacement kit, the scissors, vice and hackle pliers were just rubbish.
A phone call to the likes of Neil Anderson at Angus Angling in Forfar for some advice on starter kit etc would be a good way forward.

Colin Mckinnon

« Reply #3 on: 24/11/2020 at 07:35 »
Thanks guys. Yeah see what you mean re kits. Lots of stuff that I'll never use and dubious quality. OK budget wise its not massive. I've been looking round after your posts and I looking at something in the 50- 60quid range .  Something like the Snowbie flymate range? . Clamp or pedestal i have still to decide. Then adding some nice quality tools. Fly wise id be looking to give DHEs a go and variations on the flys that Sandy Nelson recommends on this site. Spiders and some nymphs that i can master then put my own twist on thats half the fun of tying you own guess. Possibly a decent fly pattern book ? Then try and follow some of the tutorials online .

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #4 on: 24/11/2020 at 09:37 »
If you are local to Aberdeen you could pop into Somers. They have a bunch of kit and Im sure the guys there would help you out putting together a bespoke kit for the price and flies you plan on tying. Another benefit is actually being able to see and test the equipment in person so you know you are happy with the gear. Also supporting a local shop as soon there will be none left.... Orvis...

Cheers,
Cameron

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #5 on: 24/11/2020 at 11:52 »
Colin,

The snow bee looks good value, never used one personally but gets good reviews. For me I would go pedestal as you don’t have to find somewhere to clamp it on anthem off if you need to move frequently.

I have used both types in the past but now only use pedestal style, however that is only my preference.

If you are looking online for ideas then Davie McPhail on you tube is worth a watch.

Eddie

« Reply #6 on: 24/11/2020 at 13:59 »
I used a Snowbee flymate vice for years, it was my second vices. Good and nice to tie on.

I started out with one of the veniard starter kits, as others have said most of the materials are rubbish. Good enough for starting out with. the scissor and hackle pliers were actually not too bad. The AA type vice was workable but not very nice to use, they are cheap and if you are not sure that tying will become a long term hobby may be worth considering as a starting point until you are sure you want to invest more in a more expensive vice.  Could save you money in the long run.

Colin Mckinnon

« Reply #7 on: 24/11/2020 at 16:18 »
Great advise from you all . thanks so much
Think ill have a wander down to Somers on my day off and have a chat with them . They have the Snowbie vises in stock by looks of things . Have a look at a set of decent fly tie tools there to. There used to be a young lad there that used to sit and tie flies in the shop but not sure if he is still there.  Any decent books with  fly tie patterns , and what materiel's you need to tie them you'd recommend ? Save me buying stuff i dont need to start with anyway .

Dave Robb

« Reply #8 on: 25/11/2020 at 01:25 »
You don’t need to bother with books, type in Davie Mcphail and whatever pattern you want, on YouTube and you’re sorted.

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #9 on: 25/11/2020 at 08:10 »
You don’t need to bother with books, type in Davie Mcphail and whatever pattern you want, on YouTube and you’re sorted.

Yeah Davie's videos are REALLY good !!!!

Colin Mckinnon

« Reply #10 on: 25/11/2020 at 15:56 »
Just watched a couple of Davies  vids.  Point taken  :z4

Mike Barrio

« Reply #11 on: 25/11/2020 at 18:08 »
I had a Snowbee Flymate vice at the fishery for years, I tied a lot of flies on it, so did customers ..... and it performed and lasted well :z16

Bob Mitchell

« Reply #12 on: 26/11/2020 at 09:52 »
First thing I would have done is find out what patterns I would be fishing with and then go to David McPhail on Y tube. One is very lucky nowadays to have people like David to show one. Have always just used a cheap vice going by the eye watering sums I see wanted for some. Good scissors are a must. Would not spend to much money on it until I saw if I wanted to continue.
Happy tying.
Bob

Colin Mckinnon

« Reply #13 on: 27/11/2020 at 10:01 »
thanks all for the great advise   :z18

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #14 on: 17/12/2020 at 10:14 »
Colin, how did you get on with this?

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com