Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

Streamers - part of your river armoury?
« on: 04/11/2020 at 08:04 »
Whilst logged on to Facebook the other day I came across an advert for an upcoming article in FF&FT about streamers.
Thing is, the text of the advert stated "UK streamer fishing on rivers is rarely encountered, but in the USA it enjoys a massive following... because it's so effective. In the November issue, we look at its application and some basic patterns."
Now here's the thing, for as long as I can remember fishing rivers for Trout I have always had some 'wee and not so wee nasties' ready to use. Streamers, in other words. 
When I moved to Aberdeenshire from Ardnamurchan in the early '90s the majority of river anglers I came across also had streamer set ups handy for those days when matching the hatch really is 3"+ of something vaguely fishy looking.
For sure, plenty of folk fished just nymphs or just dries, but most were open to or actively fished streamers.
Since moving to Inverness-shire over ten years ago this experience has been repeated - most carry something fugly 'just in case'.
So I am super intrigued by the upcoming article as my experience has been something entirely different, but I wonder if that's because of where I fish and have fished :?
Is it the case that the majority of river anglers across the UK don't use streamers as they don't need to, it isn't allowed where they fish or is it that they simply have never considered them as an option  :z8
I'll be interested to find out, as hopefully the article will tell me  :cool:

Gavin Stevenson

Re: Streamers - part of your river armoury?
« Reply #1 on: 04/11/2020 at 08:38 »
I have used streamers for years now, initially it was an alternative to live spinning minnows and gudgeons when my local water stopped this practive ( i'm talking 35 years ago!). I typically use on a dropping river following floods and I have found it a very good alternative  fished close to bank.

James Laraway

« Reply #2 on: 04/11/2020 at 14:28 »
Ive always liked a lure.....articulated streamers i only started with a few years ago.....now i tied them for pike, trout etc

I dont think there will be anything new in FFFT.

If you want a great book Sandy N reccomended me Charlie Cravens book on tying streamers...its awesome..

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #3 on: 04/11/2020 at 19:41 »
They have always been used by me.

Far too many get caught on raps and Devons to deny its worth replicating with the fly although I can only do it for sorry spells as I get bored of it very quickly tbh.

My old man was known to use orange ipns back when his new school note pad would arrive after  high winds blew a roof slate off do they are certainly nothing new on this side of the pond only the patterns tbh.

I think a lot of the older generation that were brought up fishing the bouncing minnow may have been trying to replicate this with lures as they'd have been referred to by most back then. Upstream just above wee pots and jigging it back is the most successful method for me so it makes sense in my head. Just a thought  :z8

:z18

Steven

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #4 on: 04/11/2020 at 21:13 »
Steven,

Yes I have always used the option of lures/streamers of various types since the late 60,s i remember using a pattern called the Mickey Finn many moons ago. Does anyone else remember this fly?

Eddie :z18

Hamish Young

« Reply #5 on: 04/11/2020 at 22:34 »
I recall the Mickey Finn, my Dad used it, but I preferred the Mrs Simpson and the Chief Nebadah (not sure on the spellingof that one, must check my books), the Mrs Simpson remains a favourite pattern on lochs but I barely fish rivers for Trout these days :z16

Jeff Donovan

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #7 on: 04/11/2020 at 23:06 »
I recall the Mickey Finn, my Dad used it, but I preferred the Mrs Simpson and the Chief Nebadah (not sure on the spellingof that one, must check my books), the Mrs Simpson remains a favourite pattern on lochs but I barely fish rivers for Trout these days :z16

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #8 on: 04/11/2020 at 23:19 »
Hamish,

Cheers for the age thing, my dad used to use a Mickey Finn😂. I guess the best result from this thread is that many trout fisherman in our locale contrary to the forthcoming article have always had a fugly  pattern or two up our sleeve when chasing our spooky quarry. I have been in the Don a few times this past season with Sandy and others when a typical day would involve upstream nymphing, dries to match the hatch and modern streamers as well all in the same day to cover all bases. Similar to my last visit to Durness when lures were the best option for the conditions at hand. All options need to be explored and all options have their time and their place and if you want to be successful then you need to throw what the troots want and not be blinkered by tradition. I have no issue with what anyone else wants to fish or thinks is appropriate but it is still nice to catch fish and if they want a large mouthful so be it. I personally think that the reason that the article reports that the streamer method is not so widely reported in our waters is cyst there is still a hangover from our forefathers that this is just not cricket. I suspect that most serious wild trout fishers have a few fugly favourites that come out to play on a regular basis.

I know I do😂

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #9 on: 05/11/2020 at 00:27 »

I wouldn't have connected with this had it not been for my trusty shuggie 👍 That's enough reason for me to keep using them 😎

Steven

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #10 on: 05/11/2020 at 09:35 »
Agree with all the above

Martin’s Minnow is the best way I’ve found of replicating the old drop minnow

But Charlie Cravens book has me using Swim coaches and drunk and disorderlies too. Lots of fun for short bursts. Some spectacular takes but not many hook ups with the big ones, the greedy little ones though never fail to amaze me

Sandy

James Laraway

« Reply #11 on: 05/11/2020 at 09:54 »
its funny how snobbish people can be - especially in fly fishing

Dry vs nymphs/wets on rivers
lure vs 'more delicate methods'
buzzer & bung vs proper fly fishing  :X2

then you have all method vs fly

personally I am most happy catching on fly but i don't mind deploying alternative methods when needed  :z16

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #12 on: 05/11/2020 at 12:01 »
its funny how snobbish people can be - especially in fly fishing

Dry vs nymphs/wets on rivers
lure vs 'more delicate methods'
buzzer & bung vs proper fly fishing  :X2

then you have all method vs fly

personally I am most happy catching on fly but i don't mind deploying alternative methods when needed  :z16

I agree wholeheartedly. Whilst I would much rather catch on the fly. I will happily turn my hand to a spot of ironmongery  and I love worming (upstream  and mobile none of the sitting on my arse hogging one lie stuff)  :wink

Steven.

Hamish Young

« Reply #13 on: 05/11/2020 at 18:35 »
Hamish,

Cheers for the age thing, my dad used to use a Mickey Finn😂.
Welcome Eddie, any time bud  :wink
Now off to find this book by Charlie Craven  :z18 Mostly as I may have got access to fish for trout on some water usually only reserved for those in pursuit of silver tourists - here's hoping that works out. I didn't actually go trout fishing once in 2020  :shock

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #14 on: 05/11/2020 at 19:38 »
This one

You won’t regret it, but it will cost you money  :z7

Sandy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com