Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Kerr

MHX Blanks
« on: 31/10/2020 at 20:04 »
I’m looking for a 10ft 6wt blank to build a rod for the boat. Not so easy to find  CTS don’t do one. Does anyone have experience of MHX blanks. I see  mixed reviews.

Steven Kidd

Re: MHX Blanks
« Reply #1 on: 31/10/2020 at 21:43 »
No idea on this one.....but my current build is an 11ft 5wt , Bloke blank......looks real nice and has a proper through action, fairly mid-flex i'd say.  worth a look for £60.

This will be my loch style boat rod for next year,  :wink

Steven

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #2 on: 01/11/2020 at 09:02 »
I’ve had hit or miss with MHX
Much Prefer the Bloke blanks.
The XL50 blanks are excellent the new  XGnP  blanks are superb and great value too.
Micks a decent guy to deal with too and some of his kits make building easy.

Sandy

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 01/11/2020 at 10:15 »
The XL50 have been around for a while, and with good reason as they're good rods - and thus blanks :z16
I have had the opportunity to play with a great many of the Bloke rods at BFCC events  and other 'cast what you brought' events and if I'm honest I'd really like to try the 'loch style' XL50 10'6" #6wt...... which may suit you too Sandy (Kerr) :?

Sandy Kerr

« Reply #4 on: 01/11/2020 at 14:16 »
Sandy Kerr indeed  :z16

Thanks for that.  I’ll have a look at Bloke blanks. Funny I had a friend recently bemoaning demise of  the 10’6” Rod. Is XL 50 medium fast.? I’m always a bit nervous about “loch style” description. I’m not a fan of  super fast rods . Had an XP and hated it. But don’t  like liquorice stick either.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #5 on: 01/11/2020 at 16:49 »
Don’t be afraid of the Loch style , it’s a lovely rod and a perfect companion in the boat.
I’ve made a few of the 5 wts and they are very highly thought of.
I only make fishing rods, not casting weapons these days so it’s well worth a punt. You won’t be disappointed  :z18

Sandy

James Laraway

« Reply #6 on: 01/11/2020 at 17:41 »
I've owned a couple of xl50s. Id describe them as more medium than medium fast. Although Sandy and others who are more expert may correct me 🤣

Sandy Kerr

« Reply #7 on: 01/11/2020 at 23:12 »
Thanks James. Hmm I find guideline Fario, which some folk love,  too sloppy. Epic Carbon and Radian are speed I like. I won’t use this rod much so looking for cheapish build.

Steven Kidd

« Reply #8 on: 02/11/2020 at 21:54 »
Hi,
Not to hijack the post, but thought i'd put up some photos of the Bloke 'Loch Style' build, work in progress, getting better each build, :-)........Its all going on!,  :z4

James Laraway

« Reply #9 on: 03/11/2020 at 13:49 »
very nice. I should really try a build myself....one day....

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com