Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

River Beauly finale 2020
« on: 16/10/2020 at 04:34 »
So on the last day of the Beauly season I had my best ever day for Salmon on the fly, landing and returning seven Salmon ranging from 5lbs to a  quite conservatively  estimated 16-17lbs.
I wasn't supposed to be on the Beauly at all, instead I should have been at Tilbouries on the Dee on Wednesday and Thursday fishing as a guest of friends. Unfortunately a requirement to stay close to home put paid to that trip and, I thought, my 2020 Salmon season . Then a last minute opportunity came to fish some of my favourite water and I was on the water for a little after 10 am.
From the collection of fishing toys I had picked the really very excellent Orvis Mission 13'6" #8wt to fish with as it is easy going in nature, important as I have somehow quite badly 'damaged' my right shoulder which makes casting bloody painful if the truth is told. Anyway, the Mission is a pleasure to fish with especially when matched to a Rio Scandi Versitip - a line that continues to impress me. My slight variant on a well known Sunray Shadow went on in the morning and it stayed on all day.
This season I have had a lot - and it really has been a lot - of Salmon fall off. This has been vexing as I couldn't put my finger on why except to suppose that my trusty tube fly single hooks weren't doing their 'thing' properly, but even a change in brand has not helped. So I found in the bottom of one my grey boxes, which I use to transport kit about in the car, some Partridge Salar tube fly doubles in a #3. Meat cleavers  :shock On one went and - oddly enough - it stayed there all day. I dropped only one fish all day and whilst I accept that the time of year (aggressive takes likely) will have something to do with the hooking rate I suspect I will move back to doubles again next season.
By lunchtime I had landed three and lost one. One particular fish of around 9lbs gave me a hell of a fight in fast water and spent comfortably 50% of the battle tail walking or airborne, a solid solid fish. There's a few tales to be told around the other four fish but no need to say more than it was fun - bloody good fun.
At just before 4pm I sat down with a coffee and looked at the river, autumn is firmly here and a couple of fish jumped. With seven fish landed I decided to call it a day. I may have gone on to catch another, maybe more, but I was and remain more than satisfied. For once the Beauly wasn't going up and down like a damn yo-yo thanks to the hydro systems, it stayed (more or less) at a great fishing height all day and that was probably the most significant thing in my having such an awesome day.

A few pics:

Eddie Sinclair

Re: River Beauly finale 2020
« Reply #1 on: 16/10/2020 at 09:01 »
Looks like a fantastic day H. Bet you are glad you did not go to Tillbouries now.

You would have been fishing opposite Steven. He got his fish yesterday on the other bank.

About seven years ago I did one full season of the single hooks on tubes and I went back to doubles. I lost a few on the singles but not too much but I went back as I have complete confidence in the doubles.

Well done and a great way to get to the end of the season.

Eddie :z16

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 16/10/2020 at 09:50 »
Great stuff H ..... well done  :z16

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 17/10/2020 at 18:12 »
Cheers guys - appreciated  :z16

I'm shopping for double hooks for my tube flies shortly.......  but what to buy :z8
I've had 'sub-optimal' experiences with Loop, Guideline and Partridge. I do have some 'Owner' hooks which seem good and may look again at Ahrex.
Decisions, decisions  :X1

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com