Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Eddie Sinclair

Dee yesterday
« on: 09/10/2020 at 10:04 »
Well last Saturday on a lower Dee beat. First time out with the big rod since the spring. No salmon but I did get three brownies,2 seatrout and a finnock in rising water.

After the deluge last weekend my son Steven thought that if there was no more rain then Thursday this week should be just right for the beat that we normally fish at the back end. Steven had already booked the Thursday sharing a rod with his mate Lee. I looked at the forecast and then phoned the Ghillie and took the last remaining rod and thank goodness I did.

This particular beat has a board in the hut recording all fish from thirty pounds up. The closest I have been so far is 28 pounds, obviously not quite good enough for the board. The last one recorded on the board was 40 years ago and out of all the fosh on the board only three were on fly.

Not long after I started to fish I had a decent pull, I allowed it to take some line and proceeded to lift into the fish. I was not quite ready for what happened next. The reel that I use is a check pawl reel as I like to hear it sing and boy did it sing yesterday, I had my hand jammed in the spool as normal (my old fashioned drag system) and I was very quickly watching backing heading out of the tip ring. Then the thing jumped clear out of the water way on the other side of the pool. I thought christ I am attached to that.

The ghillie came down with the net and after a great fight where no quarter was given by either adversary (I am not gentle on playing fish to aid recovery) The beast was in the net. It was weighed with the Mclean net by the ghillie and measured and the weight was just a fraction over thirty pounds. I have been looking at that board on the wall for many many seasons and now I will see me up there from next season. This is a lifetime ambition achieved. Its a pity that he had been in the river for a long time and was in full spawning dress as I would have loved to see him when he was fresh in, however that is probably just being greedy 

That's me finished for this season but Steven is going back next Thursday for the last day on the lower Dee. Tight lines to all who are out before the end of the season.

Eddie :z18

James Laraway

Re: Dee yesterday
« Reply #1 on: 09/10/2020 at 11:04 »
what a beast !  :z14 I love seeing them in full spawning dress....

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 09/10/2020 at 11:11 »
Well done Eddie, that's some kype :z16

Cheers
Mike

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #3 on: 09/10/2020 at 11:13 »
James,

what I forgot to post was that there was a young lad Thomas who was fishing as well. Probably not even 20 and was throwing a nice line. He had a 24 pounder and this was by a considerable margin the biggest fish he has ever caught and I was as delighted to see young blood on the river and getting a cracking fish. We need more of these youngsters it bodes well for the future of our sport.

Eddie

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #4 on: 09/10/2020 at 18:58 »
Dad, first of all well done again! Truly a fish of a lifetime ❤️

I'm glad that my guesstimate of it being about bang on on thursday paid off for you and beings as there was only 2" height difference between my prediction and reality it just goes to prove that local knowledge and a little foresight can go a long way 👍

In regards to getting on "the board"  I am immensely proud and I look forward to being able to proudly show my grandkids as they start out on their salmon fishing career.

Will you better it? Perhaps not, but if you look on the board there's not many up there with just the one, so perhaps it's a sign of more to come 👍

Granted I'd much prefer if it was S and not E Sinclair next time around 😜

Well done again 👍

:z18

Steven.

Euan Innes

« Reply #5 on: 09/10/2020 at 19:14 »
First of all, yer a God! Hard work clearly pays off, so well done.
Now the abuse....
Crocodile DundEddie! Seriously, that in silver would have been a sight, however it is still a fair beast.
I am back out on the Northie next week for at least one day. So far this year it has been low but I have hooked and dropped three, one of which would have broken my PB. I will do a seasonal report in Novemeber when all this is over about what I have learned this year. Really excited about having more water!
Congrats Eddie, hopefully not  the fish of a lifetime, cos yer nae deid yet😁

Euan

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #6 on: 09/10/2020 at 19:21 »
Cheers Euan, (I think?)

You are right, nae quite deid yet so will keep thrashing the water. As you said would have loved to see it when it first arrived.

Look forward to a cast again together somewhere next season.

Eddie

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #7 on: 09/10/2020 at 23:28 »
First of all, yer a God! Hard work clearly pays off, so well done.
Now the abuse....
Crocodile DundEddie! Seriously, that in silver would have been a sight, however it is still a fair beast.
I am back out on the Northie next week for at least one day. So far this year it has been low but I have hooked and dropped three, one of which would have broken my PB. I will do a seasonal report in Novemeber when all this is over about what I have learned this year. Really excited about having more water!
Congrats Eddie, hopefully not  the fish of a lifetime, cos yer nae deid yet😁

Euan

I'm looking forward to reading your report Euan. This has been my first full season of playing around on the northie and have had 5 to my rod.

I've actually enjoyed the low water levels as it has prompted me to try all manner of weird (and successful) methods 👍

Steven.

Duncan McRae

« Reply #8 on: 09/10/2020 at 23:34 »
A stunning fish Eddie,very well done.What a way to end the season :z16

Like James,i like to see the fish in full spawning dress.

Duncan

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #9 on: 10/10/2020 at 12:33 »
Awesome fish Eddie

Stunning looking beast, well done  :z14

Sandy

Callum Imray

« Reply #10 on: 11/10/2020 at 01:01 »
Braw fish Eddie, well done 👍🏻

Jim Eddie

« Reply #11 on: 11/10/2020 at 15:50 »
Aye well done Eddie  :z16

Jim

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #12 on: 12/10/2020 at 09:34 »
AMAZING fish and congrats for getting on the board.

Very jealous, I've been trying for a Dee salmon the last 2 years with no luck. Must be doing something wrong haha

James Laraway

« Reply #13 on: 12/10/2020 at 09:45 »
I do see signs of young people fishing up here in the highlands - which is great. Especially in the angling clubs.

Hopefully as they progress through theirs teens and early 20s they make it onto the 'big 5' and other salmon rivers

Inverness AC has a lot of youngsters which is great  - including a fair number of girls which is superb to see.

I had given up on salmon for a couple of years but next year i'll be back on the nairn properly, mixed with wild trout and pike fly fishing . I also need to head up north to see the limestone lochs as i like throwing a humoungous.  :z16

James,

what I forgot to post was that there was a young lad Thomas who was fishing as well. Probably not even 20 and was throwing a nice line. He had a 24 pounder and this was by a considerable margin the biggest fish he has ever caught and I was as delighted to see young blood on the river and getting a cracking fish. We need more of these youngsters it bodes well for the future of our sport.

Eddie

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #14 on: 15/10/2020 at 20:09 »
[quote author=Eddie Sinclair link=topic=

That's me finished for this season but Steven is going back next Thursday for the last day on the lower Dee. Tight lines to all who are out before the end of the season.

Eddie :z18
[/quote]

As Dad mentioned I'd been offered the chance to fish the same beat a week later and naturally jumped at the chance.

Whilst I couldn't quite match Seniors accolade and get myself on the board. A scrap with the Croc below was a great way to end my season on deeside 👍

Steven

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com