Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Tackle for hitch fly fishing
« on: 27/09/2020 at 21:02 »
Given the lack of water in our local Aberdeenshire rivers currently, I’m keen to give hitch fly fishing a go before the season ends shortly.

Please could I have some advice on the best rod/line/leader set up? I should be able to cobble something together from the garage armoury.

Thanks in advance...

James Laraway

Re: Tackle for hitch fly fishing
« Reply #1 on: 28/09/2020 at 10:29 »
dont know if fish will take a hitch at this point in the season......its more a summer thing.

If you were to try it it would be easier with a floating line and single hander. I'm sure you can hitch with a double hander but if you have a single hand rod with a rating of 7 or above that would do the job.

( #7 would be an absolute minimum for me . An #8 or above would be better. When i started for salmon with single handers I had a couple of fresh fish on a #7 and well, it was a little too exciting for my liking....)

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #2 on: 28/09/2020 at 14:55 »
dont know if fish will take a hitch at this point in the season......its more a summer thing.

If you were to try it it would be easier with a floating line and single hander. I'm sure you can hitch with a double hander but if you have a single hand rod with a rating of 7 or above that would do the job.

( #7 would be an absolute minimum for me . An #8 or above would be better. When i started for salmon with single handers I had a couple of fresh fish on a #7 and well, it was a little too exciting for my liking....)

Whilst I will admit to not being the biggest expert on the subject I would say that I would most definitely be giving the hitch a throw at this time of year  :z16 a good pal of mine had a fish to the hitch just last week on the erict and I have risen fish to it (didnt stay on) as late on as the last day of the season on the Dee last year.

As for rods I would tend to agree with James. I fish a 6# Sexyloops hot torpedo on smaller rivers where I think i'm more inclined to pick up grilse but if I think that there's MSW fish around I grab the 8# of the same rod.

Regarding lines and leaders I fish a barrio SLX on both rods as this give me the ability to easily use water born anchored casts as well as overhead which I often need on the rivers I use it. Leader wise I fish a 9' tapered leader to 10lb (or so) and attach a few feet of 8/10lb maxima to the business end.

A few other points to add would be to avoid using flourocarbon as you obviously don't want anything pulling the hitch down and also if you are struggling to keep the hitch "v'ing" gently lift the rod top during the swing and if that's still not sufficient don't be afraid to figure of 8 it back but do try to keep the swing speed as consistent as possible as this does seem to make a difference.

If river levels remain the same throughout the week I too will be hitching this coming Saturday on Deeside  :z12

Don't be afraid to try the smallest Frances imaginable upstream dead drift (think trout nymphing) either  :wink but be aware that the takes can be truly savage  :shock

:z18

Steven.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 01/10/2020 at 09:50 »
I am certainly no expert at Salmon, not even a good "average" salmon angler, but for the back end on a certain lower Dee pool, I have done well for a couple of years on a Sunray Shadow fished across the top.

I prefer a single handed rod, I use a 7 weight Recon, and a shooting head to get the distance, and then do looooong steady strips, ot  rolley poley retrieve if the water is very slow, trying to get the fly to travel at a constant speed, making that big "V".

Seems to get them chasing, although hook ups are low. The chase is enough for me though.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com