Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Taniwha rodworks glass rods
« on: 09/09/2020 at 15:19 »
I’m aware this has probably been done to death previously, but does anyone have experience of using a Taniwha glass rod, specifically the 7’6 #4 model? Quality, value for money, durability etc

Cheers

James Laraway

Re: Taniwha rodworks glass rods
« Reply #1 on: 09/09/2020 at 20:23 »
I got one a few months ago. See my posting called New Toy in this section. It's s lovely rod with a great finish. The chap is a pleasure to deal with. Matches great with s Barrio SS line. Can handle big fish too. I've landed bows to almost 10lbs and wild browns to about 5lbs on it...

Duncan Inglis

Re: Taniwha rodworks glass rods New
« Reply #2 on: 09/09/2020 at 21:24 »
I second that. I bought the kit from Mark who was very helpful, rod is lovely to cast, handles fish no problem. #4 Barrio Smallstream matches the rod perfectly.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #3 on: 10/09/2020 at 13:11 »
I’ll third that one.

Mark is great to deal with and the blank is about the best value for money for the performance out there.
Very much the same as the original Epics in the best size which as both guys said is a spot on match for the Smallstream #4.
A great way into glass :z18

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 10/09/2020 at 14:52 »
My go to rod is the 8 foot 5 weight. I have various Farios, ZG1's, Helios etc sitting whilst the glass comes out to play.

Steven Kidd

« Reply #5 on: 10/09/2020 at 19:33 »
I am currently building one of these at the moment and i think i'm going to love it, cant wait until it is finished.

Mark at Taniwha is a true customer focused guy, excellent service and advice......he even refunded my postage as he noticed i placed an order for something else the same day i forgot to add to my kit.

I got the grey 476 blank, which is actually a very  pale translucent aquamarine colour, super cool.  The quality is great and more than good enough for me!.....I'll post pictures when i'm finished the build as i'm rather pleased with how this build is going, :-)

Don't hesitate, super cool rods!

Steven

Steven Kidd

« Reply #6 on: 21/09/2020 at 11:02 »
Hi,

I tried the Taniwha S-Glass out at the weekend......and all I can say is wow......glass is awesome! :z14

Smooth casting strokes and more of a 0930 - 1430 casting stroke and you'll get it.   It casts like a dream!

I might sell the 590C :z4.....and build another glass rod!

Steven

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com