Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Steven Sinclair

Durness comes good again 😎
« on: 07/09/2020 at 15:35 »
Afternoon gents and Iain Stewart  :z4

I was sitting in the office on Thursday and came to the stark realisation that I actually had a completely free weekend coming up! Understandably there was only really one thing for it but to head home that night, load up the old landy bus and after fishing work at 6.30pm the following day, point her north and press the loud pedal 👍

As my initial destination was to be the lochs of assynt I decided on a nice wee jolly up towards Ullapool on the Friday night. It was only on my way up here that I realised that it was this weekend last year that I'd had my 9lber from Durness and decided to hell with it and carried on northwards 😅

To say the weather with typical as I got out of Ullapool would be a fair statement. I provided what I figured would be a reasonably accurate weather forecast to my parents along the way...

https://youtu.be/Vx4Bgj7AnDM

After waking up to this view the next morning I was surprised to find that perhaps I had infact been greatly mistaken!

But no sooner had I arrived at the Loch I was faced with this 😂

https://youtu.be/-c7-oQeJKVU

Fortunately it was only the odd passing shower all day so by Durness standards the conditions were excellent 😅

As there were no boats on the Loch at all I fished it from the bank for my first full day (having only had the odd hour or two from the bank previously). So decided to search my way around with the fast glass and my trusty shuggie 😳. After half an hour or so I was blessed with this highland trophy 😎

The picture really doesnt do it justice but the video does 😎 it also shows just how gin clear these waters are especially when you consider it had been windy so this is it coloured up 😂

https://youtu.be/0UZbfAk_Gn4

I landed a further three trout about the half pound mark but were all quickly released on there way without any time wasted taking pictures.

I did however recall sandys post about his rods and how many people are now out there fishing with them. Well I'm delighted to tell people that I am one of those people and the two rods that I fished with over the weekend were the scf 60 9' 5# and Barrio lochstyle 5# both of which are ideal for up there for me 😎

:z18

Steven

Mike Barrio

Re: Durness comes good again 😎
« Reply #1 on: 07/09/2020 at 16:56 »
Awesome  :z12  ..... and some great photos/videos  :z16

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #2 on: 07/09/2020 at 21:46 »
Nice troot Stevie and cracking pictures.

Eddie :z18

James Laraway

« Reply #3 on: 08/09/2020 at 09:45 »
very nice report. Ive never fished up durness way before. I was planning to this year before lockdown scuppered me.

I was thinking 'that trout is very pale in colour' . Seeing you video i understand why - brilliant camo !

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #4 on: 08/09/2020 at 10:08 »
Cheers James 👍

Whilst the water clarity truly had to be seen to be believed. I challenge anyone to spot fish cruising in the shallows.

I've only once been lucky enough to watch a fish cruise by me whilst wading out on a submerged skerry. The fish was in excess of 6 lbs and followed the line of the dyke right past my feet.

The Loch is fairly shallow across its entirety and fish seem to be spread right across the Loch with non traditional tactics far out fishing wets in my experience.

Given the right weather. The lads that regularly fish the likes of Leven with modern buzzer and nymphing techniques would likely reigh supreme 😉

:z18

Steven.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com