Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

James Laraway

WSW
« on: 28/08/2020 at 09:45 »
the mention of WSW on the lochter thread takes me back.....

question for those in Aberdeen and the 'Shire

i take it that a WSW is just a tadpole with a bead head with a really tightly palmered body ?

Jim Eddie

Re: WSW
« Reply #1 on: 29/08/2020 at 23:03 »
James
I'm fishing with Walter in a couple of weeks I can ask him if you like . WSW 'Walters Secret Weapon"

:z18
Jim

James Laraway

« Reply #2 on: 31/08/2020 at 09:25 »
that would be good.

i guess there is little that is new in any pattern really.

Lets face it the 'dancer' series of flies is just a dog knobbler with a few alterations...

From memory, thinking back i think that the WSW may have a cone head and palmered body. Interesting to see what the main man says  :z16

Jim Eddie

« Reply #3 on: 14/09/2020 at 11:35 »
James
A WAS tied by The man himself.

Jim

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #4 on: 14/09/2020 at 12:26 »
Jim, how did the day fishing go?

Eddie :z18

Jim Eddie

« Reply #5 on: 14/09/2020 at 14:35 »
We were at Kingennie Eddie,  despite the over abundance of fish it was tough going. I had 3 for the day, Walter had a couple .

I had a go for the Salmon on the Deveron last Monday but no joy, water was really low.

Fished up in Caithness  week before,  the weather was against us , to windy for boat fishing, although we managed a day on the boat at Toftinghall which is more sheltered. Still had some good sport from the bank. Digs in Watten village were fine 4 bedrooms and everything you could need, cheap as chips .

Jim

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #6 on: 14/09/2020 at 17:31 »
Jim,

Sounds great that you got to Caithness. I think that Steven and I are heading up to Durness later this week. I have to get up North West before the end of the season.

Eddie

Terry Coging

« Reply #7 on: 14/09/2020 at 20:53 »
Yes - the pull of the North. I will be heading up to the Assynt region on Sunday. I had booked 3 trips this year - all cancelled due to you know what, but determined to get there while I'm able. Not sure what to expect other than shorter days?

James Laraway

« Reply #8 on: 15/09/2020 at 09:24 »
Jim, how did the day fishing go?

Eddie :z18

urgh - your photos are a bit small for me to make it out. Looks like a bead head, tightly palmered body with a mirage tinsel rib ?

Jim Eddie

« Reply #9 on: 15/09/2020 at 19:48 »
James
PM me your address and I'll post the fly to you

Jim

James Laraway

« Reply #10 on: 16/09/2020 at 10:06 »
very kind offer Jim but no need really.  I was just interested. I first heard of the WSW on a kintore fishing club trip while on the bus to glen of rothes trout fishery quite a few years ago.

I need to get back on 'the bench' as it feels like ages since i tied some flies, and now the evenings are closing in.... :X1

James
PM me your address and I'll post the fly to you

Jim

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com