Forum > Rod Building

The 2020 project

<< < (2/2)

Kerry Jordan:
Interesting post Sandy and I’m one of those still catching fish on the 4 Epics you built for me. Yesterday I took my 480 with me to find I only had a reel loaded with a 3 weight Barrio Smallstream line. I’d previously used the rod with a Rio 4 weight line which was fine, but the above combo was simply outrageously good at short and medium range.  I don’t think the 480 was ever regarded as one if the star performers in the Epic lineup but maybe it’s one that flew under the radar?

Rob Brownfield:
Most interesting. What do you think of S2 glass, which I believe is meant to address some of the issues you mention re scrim and bounce?

Sandy Nelson:
The S2 for the original epics which CTS made was a great material. Not so keen on the next generation though.  The interesting thing for me was how much lighter and faster the tip recovery is with The Eglass we have used, compared  to the S and S2 .  I tried S glass and E glass in the exact same spec side by side and the e glass felt nicer, then I ran that e glass against a pair of original epics side by side.  Again it felt nicer, much lighter than the 580 and with the same liveliness  and light weight of a  476 but  with the  extra reach.  I know it sounds subjective , but that’s how I did the testing. I ended up with something that is actually better than I original hoped for. It ticks all the boxes and is the best of both worlds in my eyes.
It’s tougher too which is great for troutbum sticks  :z16

Mike Barrio:

For those of you that follow Sandy's rods ..... I have recently updated his page on the website  :z12

See: https://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/sandy-nelson-custom-fly-rods.html

Fred Hay:
Just had a look at the new web page for Sandy's Rods - very impressive.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version