Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Ross

Fishing with a single handle...
« on: 26/01/2008 at 15:19 »
I got into a decent enough debate about fishing the don with a single handled rod! I was mocked due to the fact that if I caught a 10lb+ salmon, I wouldn't stand a chance. Now, I've managed to take a 9lb grilse out which was awesome fun, certainly better than playing anything on a double hander!

What do you all think?

Sandy Nelson

Re: Fishing with a single handle...
« Reply #1 on: 26/01/2008 at 16:12 »
 :z16

I've had an 8lber on a 3wt out of the Don, much fun.

I dont own a double hander, tried it a couple of times, couldn't cast as far as i could a single, so have stuck to what i know :z18

Sandy

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 26/01/2008 at 16:22 »
I have and use both. To be honest a 'butch' single handed #7/8wt rod is more than adequate for an awful lot of Scotlands 'smaller' rivers. Whilst a double hander gives more options and flexibility for line and fly control at distance than a single handed rod can I revert to a single hander most of the time in the summer, on the Don anyway.

I've had salmon to 18lb on single handed rods without too much difficulty so whilst it's reasonbale to argue that a double handed rod is more 'appropriate' for mainstream salmon fishing there's nothing wrong with a good single hander in the right conditions :z16

Iain Goolager

« Reply #3 on: 26/01/2008 at 18:02 »
Gents,

It was only two years ago that I purchased an actual 'Salmon Fly Outfit' & so far I've only managed two Kelts on it ......it's hard work for a wee fella like me.
The last 'fresh' Salmon I had (about 7-8lb) was two years ago at Kintore using a size 10 double Teal and Yellow (water was coloured).  I was using a 9' 6" #6 Diawa Whisker (I'd just found it while cleaning out the dragon-in-laws shed, and fancied a stroll down memory lane) and a floating line - the rod performed without a problem.

I hear Gordon Brown is going to make it illegal to fish with anything heavier than a 6 weight outfit for Grilse fishing- it's true Elvis told me!

As previously stated the smaller to medium sized rivers can be fished adequately when using floating lines and smaller/lighter flies but I bought the larger outfit for when I need to hurl a Pot Bellied Pig on an intermediate line.

Iain

Graham Ritchie

« Reply #4 on: 27/01/2008 at 12:46 »
The double handed rod will allow you handle large heavy flies more easily, will allow you to control the swing of the fly more effectively and spey cast more efficiently if your back cast is restricted. I would recommend using a double handed rod during the spring and during high water conditions for the rest of the season. The single hander is fine for low water. It isnt about how heavy a fish the rod can handle, the single hander will be fine with the salmon you are likely to encounter on the Don, it is more about how effeciently and effectively the rod allows you to cover the water.

goosander

« Reply #5 on: 27/01/2008 at 18:03 »
Single handed rods are fine when the water is warm and low and you are usuing flies from tens down to fourteens. It is certainly good fun on the trout rod and is much easier to work the flies with it. When the water is colder the fish seem to me to not want to move about as much and as you are usuing bigger flies the fifteen ft. comes into its own. A river in spate fishing with a fast sinking line and two inch tubes, then the seventeen ft. comes to the rescue. Casting with the double handed rod is i would have said easier than the single handed rod. One spey cast and thirty yards plus goes  across the water were as the single even with the shooting head  requires several false casts to load the rod. The size of the fly can dicate the size of the rod but a large backend cock fish lying in heavy water can need a big rod and a lot of pressure to pull its head round to get it moving. Also on a day when there is not much doing practising your spey casting with a fly on the end and the odd chance of a fish can be very enjoyable especialy sourended by good scenery

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com