Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Taylor

Floating line for upstream nymphing
« on: 24/06/2020 at 11:51 »
Hi everyone. I'm new on here and this is my first post. Was wondering if anyone can recommend a really high floating line for upstream nymphing? All the lines I have soon start sinking, even when thoroughly cleaned and treated with floating.

Mike Barrio

Re: Floating line for upstream nymphing
« Reply #1 on: 25/06/2020 at 01:22 »
Hi Mike ..... Welcome to the forum :z16

Tricky one, must confess that I haven't got much experience of upstream nymphing.
A couple of thoughts, having watched other folk fishing these tactics.  I've noticed that most seem to be fishing fairly light lines/rods and I'm not sure that a light line can have enough buoyancy to cope with floating in upstream streamy runs when the deep nymphing leader and fly are pulling the tip down.  But the use of a buoyant 'dry fly', or indicator yarn treated with floatant, high up the leader set up, appears to help?

Maybe forum members with more experience of the method can add some suggestions?

Best wishes
Mike

Mike Taylor

Re: Floating line for upstream nymphing
« Reply #2 on: 25/06/2020 at 10:09 »
Thanks Mike. Yes I’m using a 4 weight set up and with the  low water I’m fishing streamy runs. I have used Klink and dink with some success but I will try your suggestion of indicators on the leader too.
Cheers
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com